Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Things you should check out Volume 3



Every so often a show comes along that reaffirms that there are intelligent people who write for television. Pushing Daisies is one of those shows. Please please please check this one out. It is delightful, quirky, wierd, beautiful, dark, life affirming, romantic, frustrating, and just all around FANTASTIC. Annnnnnd, as an added bonus, the tragically shortened first season is now out on dvd.

Pushing Daisies is the story of Ned the piemaker who has a terrible and wonderful gift: he can bring the dead back to life, but if he touches them again they die forever. As with any gift there are problems. If Ned brings someone or something back to life for longer than a minute, someone or something else in the vicinity must die.

I know it sounds grim, but it's really not. It's a bright red and yellow feast for the eyes actually.



Plus there's the amazing cast:

Kristin Chenowith as Olive: the gorgeous and heartsick girl unlucky enough to be in love with Ned:



(British!!) Anna Friel as Charlotte "Chuck" the only girl that Ned has ever loved and brought back from the dead is equal parts toddler and ingenue as she attempts to live every second of this new life she's been given.



Swoozie Kurtz as Chuck's grieving, agoraphobic, former synchronized swimmer aunt who sports an amazing eyepatch:



Chi McBride as Emerson Cod: a private investigator heartless enough to use Ned's gift as a means to collect reward money, yet sensitive enough to knit cosies to hold it.



and Lee Pace as the adorably conflicted and strange piemaker Ned who has to pet his dog with a wooden hand and kiss his girlfriend through a sheet of plastic:





Yes, it's wierd. Yes it's about a guy who can't kiss the girl he loves. Yes the characters break into song. Yes. Yes. YES! Watch it!

Plus: It was made by the genius who created this show:



(And if you haven't seen that one, then you'd best check it out too!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pushing Daisies is my favorite show! i really can't wait for it to come back. I'm also counting down the days until The Pie Hole comes to my city http://www.pushingdaisiestour.com/

Jillian said...

Oh there are so many things to love about it...and I love them all.

love, Love, LOVE it. When I saw your post, I thought that I had missed the season premier! Fhew! Be still my heart.

Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew said...

I loved the first 4 episodes of Wonderfalls. And I agree, that it was wonderful. I think it may have been too smart for network television... I'm happy that they finished the season and tied up the story lines and all, but the last few episodes were almost too bad to watch. I know. I know. They had to finish and the series was canceled.

I look forward to seeing this show.

Is Ned the brother from Wonderfalls?

Maursupial said...

Yes, Ned is the brother from Wonderfalls.

But, I have to disagree with you. The last four episodes are definitely rushed, but I wouldn't say unwatchable. In fact, I LOVED the final episode. It was funny, well acted, and wrapped things up. Rushed? Yes. Tried to do a bit too much? Yes. Unwatchable? NO WAY!

Christy said...

Pushing Daisy's is wonderful! I love it's intilligence and the way they push the elements of reality. Wonderfalls also wonderful, the end was rushed, but I love when things are summed up.

Christy said...

Oh...inquiring minds want to know-why the delete?