Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mama's Boy

Austen has gotten a bad rap on this blog of late. Don't get me wrong, he's earned it, but I feel a little guilty. Along with being a very very bad boy (ask me about my Merrell shoes some time. Not this week, it's too fresh a wound) he's also so cute it makes me weak.

Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:



Austen loves toys. Austen loves destroying toys. My house is nearly always littered with the dead skins of stuffed animals and pieces of tennis ball (yes, pieces of tennis ball. Nothing is safe from this boy). While the mess doesn't thrill me, the real problem with this is the fact that he likes to eat some of the wreckage. After my dog nephew Bo's brush with death, that scares me.

So, what do I do? I can't NOT buy him toys. If I do that, I'm the one who pays (Have I mentioned that I had a nice pair of Merrells up until verrrrry recently? Shoes that I spent way more money on than I usually do because when I wore them to work they allowed me to teach all day without foot pain? Yes? Ok.).

The only toys that he's been unable to destroy have been two ropes and a Kong given to him by my sister Christy.


(wasn't he darling? I sometimes forget how cute and cuddly he was)


So, today I went out and bought him two "indestructible" toys and another Kong. I'm hoping this will help him resist the urge to destroy my stuff.

So far he seems to like them a lot, although the Kong is still his favorite:




If this doesn't work I'm afraid one of us won't survive much longer, no matter how cute we both are.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

Don't make us choose!!

I mean, I'd totally choose you! Totally.

Melissa said...

oh, he is very cute AND he has good taste in music. Much like our Maury.

Matthew said...

Do you remember Murphy? He was-- quite possibly the best dog ever. He also chewed up
a) shoes
b) pedals off of bikes
c) those really cool f.m. radios that Mom and Dad got David and me. (the FM radio wasn't attached to the headset. The radio WAS the headset. REALLY cool.)
d) plants
e) other assorted plastic items
f) LIVE chickens
g) my nose
h) children on bikes

He was a puppy for about 4 1/2 years, and yet, we loved him.


By the way, Melissa, where is your blog? I don't blogstalk many people, but yours was among my favorites.

Melissa said...

aw, thanks, Matthew.

www.dreamtrailer.blogspot.com

I need to update. I've been a blog slacker lately. Thanks for stalking me. That's so nice of you.

Murphy was a great dog. He still holds the record for biggest dog who ever tried to sit on my lap.