Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Nerd Burn




I know it's hard to believe, but today I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears the following exchange:

Nerd #1: "I'm going to use the word 'ottoman' instead of 'stool'."
Nerd #2: "You can't Dude, they don't mean the same thing."
(Nerds #3-5 nod their heads in agreement)
Nerd #1: "Well, I like the way the word ottoman sounds so I'm going to go ahead with it."
Nerd #2: "Dude... Do you even know what a Thesaurus is? You might wanna try using one."
(This "nerd burn" is followed by high fiving and knuckle bumping amongst Nerds #2-5)

Yeah. I love my job.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

okay... how sad is it that that nerdy conversation reminds me of SO many conversations between Samantha and I or Mason & i.

child: "well I'm just going to call it a wissitywah"
me: but it's NOT a wissitiwah. It's a fish.
child" I know but I'm just going to call it a wissitiwah"
me: "we need to call things by their real names or NOBODY knows what we're TALKING ABOUT"
child: hmmmm.... I don't know. I really want to call it a wissitiwah.
me. smack forhead. sit down somewhere comfortable in defeat. eat a wissitiwah which is what I'm going to call chocolate.

Anonymous said...

LOL

And we think it's the kids who will end up in therapy.

Our word was "nap" for the word "map".

I tried everything to get young son to use the word "Map" but all it did was steel his resolve. So I let it go.

I don't even think that he remembers mis using the word now. ARRGGH.

As for the nerds in question? Well they did have a point. A "stool" isn't even close to being an "ottoman".

Nerd or not.

But then these are writer's writing a blog so I guess it's just talking shop.

Now if you really want to have fun with words? Make one up or use a word that fits but that on first glance shouldn't fit.

Example

So how was your prostrate exam.

Grammer? Correct
But
Is it properly used or spelled?
It was for me. I loved being told that I didn't spell the word correctly so I could tell them, " yes I did." I meant "prostrate" like face down on the ground.

Makes folk think.