Monday, September 8, 2008

Do they call it a fireside because you're sitting right outside the gates of hell?

Just wonderin'.

Yesterday at church I was sitting, minding my own business when my friend Jen came up and asked me to go to a Single Adult fireside with her that evening.

Dilemma: I love Jen and I would like to get to know her better, but I HATE firesides. Scratch that. I generally like them once I get there, but it's the getting dressed in my Sunday duds again and driving across town to attend yet another meeting part I can't get behind.

I. Hate. Meetings. A feeling that's only gotten stronger in my two years as a master's student at UNLV.

I thought about getting out of it, making up some stupid excuse and staying home with my dog who loves me and who I don't have to impress, BUT..... I decided to climb out of my hobbit hole and go.

I told my sister right before I left for the fireside that I didn't know if Jen and I could ever be REALLY good friends 'cause she's just so darn positive about everything. Let me tell you something. I was wrong. Jen is hilarious and just a lil' bit dark about the whole "Single LDS woman past the age of 30" thing. I can get behind that. I feel that.

The topic for the fireside was on financial planning. It sounded like a kind of dry topic, but I thought, "Hey, I might learn something important." Instead of teaching us how to make wise investments, the speaker spent twenty minutes telling us not to be suckers and fall for bad investments. It was pretty depressing, but I thought that the next twenty minutes would be about how to make good ones.

The speaker went another direction with it, though. After the twenty minutes of doom and gloom he said, "Well, I'm going to stop there. Let's go eat some cookies and commiserate." Seriously. That is pretty much word for word.

I know what you (or at least my brother Matthew who likes to give me grief about my lack of a social life) are thinking, "It was a single adult fireside, were there any romantic possibilities there?"

Well, most of the guys (4 of the 5) that were there looked kinda like this:



or, even more frightening, like this:



The fifth guy was pretty good looking and because Jen and I were sitting by him I can also report that he was funny and a little sarcastic. Now, here's where I show what being single over the age of 30 for 4 years has done to me.

Did I look at this handsome, clean cut, guy who came to a single adult fireside by himself in order to learn something and think, "There's a handsome, clean cut, spiritual guy that I might possibly want to date."? Nope.

I thought, "Hmmmm. I wonder what's wrong with him." I know I know. Some of you right this second want to post comments about the fact that I need to be less negative, that I need to give this whole single adult activity thing a fighting chance. In theory, I agree with you.

In practice, however, I've found that if a guy looks too good to be true, you need to do your research. This involves the homegirl background check: call every single LDS woman you know and find out which of their friends have dated him in the past in order to find out if he's a commitment phobe, mama's boy, or garden variety freak show.

In practice, my last boyfriend is now the vice president of an organization for lesbian and gay professionals (I'm NOT lying about this).

In practice, I currently have a bad attitude.

I'm working on it.

12 comments:

Jillian said...

I have so many comments about this right now, but they can all be wrapped up in this one.....

haahhahahahahaha!!!!!

Maursupial said...

Yeah, laugh it up chuckles. Come Monday you're in the same spinstery boat as me! HAHA! Sorry. Was that bitter?

Jamie said...

I was on the phone with Matthew when I pulled up your blog to see if you had a new post. I had to apologize to Matthew and assure him I wasn't ignoring our conversation but your title sent me into a fit of giggles. I read it to him and we laughed together and agreed that we needed to read it AS SOON as we hung up which is right now baby. You didn't disappoint. You're the best.

Melissa said...

Hilarious, but I found myself nodding in agreement. Do a background check!!! --and then let us know the results. :)

You must fill me in on the last boyfriend. I think I missed a chapter!!! That sounds like a Jaci story. :)

Melissa said...

Oh, and I love the title! aaahahahahhahahahahahaha!

Maursupial said...

The boyfriend story is pretty straight forward: Boy chases girl, wearing down her defenses allowing her to date said boy. Boy realizes, "WHOOPS! I don't really like girls!" Boy breaks up with girl citing reasons like "I think you want things that I can't give." (Truer words were never spoken.) Years pass. Girl googles ex boyfriend and finds him listed as vice president and newsletter editor for a lesbian and gay professional association.

Maursupial said...

girl cries a little.

Anonymous said...

holy cow that is hilarious!! i just have to say i love you aunt maury! you're so naughty but i love it!! whoo!! :)
oh and how can you be a gay professional?

Maursupial said...

He's not professionally gay. He's in an organization for gays and lesbians in his profession.

Emily said...

Hahahaha! Professionally gay... Carly you're killing me.

Maury, just remember that YOU'RE too good to be true. & I've done a background check.

Da Browns said...

I can always count on a nice big belly laugh when I read about your misadventures in the over 30 dating life...Ever thought of writing a book? I'd totally read it!

Malissa said...

hehehe....