Tonight after the season finale of My Boys (which incidentally if you don't watch you REALLY REALLY should. I love it.) I found myself watching "Synchronized Swimming: The Pursuit of Excellence" on PBS. It was more interesting than it sounds, although I don't think I'll be shelling out the $19.99 for my very own dvd of it.
What hit me the most was that one of the kids profiled was a boy, "one determined boy" and the only male competitor as far as I could see, competing on the #3 team at the U.S. Open. I had no idea there was such a thing in the real world as a male synchronized swimmer. Apparently he made the U.S. Olympic team, but because men are barred from Olympic competition in synchro he had to stand down. Sad.
Before I watched this documentary, most, if not all of my knowledge about synchronized swimming I learned from Harry Shearer, Martin Short, and Christopher Guest and involved the phrase "Hey you! I know you! I know you!" This was probably not the most in-depth and factual source for one to learn about the sport, I now realize.
Little did these men know that twenty years from the time they made this heartbreaking film sexism would still not allow a man to compete in synchro at the Olympics. Apparently, barriers still need to be broken down.
3 comments:
I'm sorry. That is sad for the poor boy, but I can't stop giggling.
"I know you, I know you, I know you."
One of the best skits ever.
Yeah, I know. Every time the kid was on the screen I could hear Martin Short in my head "I'm not a very strong swimmer." or Christopher Guest "You're not mad at him, you're just like, 'Hey you! I know you I know you!" So yeah, I feel his pain and all, but HE CHOSE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!
Sometimes people just have to choose the hard road. It's just who they are. Their life is not complete without angst. Funny skit. Never seen it before. I know, I know. what I have missed out on could fill books. :)
Post a Comment