Monday, August 25, 2008

I just remembered. I LIKE my job!



Last week my summer ended, and I mourned a little wondering where time had flown. I sat in meetings and arranged my classes and wondered what the heck I was doing there. "Shouldn't I be taking a nap right now?" I thought. "I wish I could just NOT work and get paid," came another thought.

This morning I got up at the ungodly hour of 5 am and was at work by 6:25. "This is WAY too early for ANYONE to be at work! Hmmmmph!" I thought. And then I got out of my car and saw a former student who smiled at me, asked how my summer was, and gave me a hug. I walked down the hall with dozens of kids screaming my name and waving frantically. I was reminded that unlike my own high school experience, as a teacher I'm wildly popular, a little bit like a rock star, truth be told.

I wouldn't trade it, because while I would have liked to be popular back then, it wouldn't mean as much. These kids like me, not because I wear the right shoes or clothes (ha!), but because I love what I do and they can feel that.

In class today I had a lot of blank stares, and have already spotted some kids who might be hard for me to get through, but for the most part I was reminded why I chose to teach teenagers. They make me laugh, and I love their energy and view on life.

The most exciting part of my day was this: for the first time since I started teaching them, I was thrilled to see each and every one of my AVID kids. We end the day together this year, and I think it will be a nice way to do so.

So, even though I will never like getting up at 5 am, I'm so glad to be back at work. I'm really lucky to be able to do something I love this much for a living.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Congrats on a fabulous first day. You really love your job if you're able to have that perspective at 6:25 a.m.


So, I take it you haven't told these kids about your Quiz Bowl days?? :)

Maursupial said...

Oh Melissa,
You've forgotten. I teach at a nerd school. I have told them about Quiz Bowl, but it was trumped in cool points by the fact that I hated New Kids on the Block and LOVED Depeche Mode (which they call "oldies" btw) when I was in high school. So THERE!!!

Melissa said...

Beauty and brains. You've got it all, Miss L!

Is it just me, or are the smart kids smarter these days? Seriously. I was around some "smart kids" recently and I thought, "dang, I don't think I knew anybody this smart!" Or maybe I've just forgotten because I wasn't one of those uber-smarties. No Quiz Bowl trophies for me!

But, what I'm trying to say is that I am so happy to read that you're still excited about your job and there's motivation at the beginning of each day despite the crazy hour. You are blessed to have found your calling and the kids are blessed to have you there.

Jillian said...

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I'm working on it. :)

Would it kill them to start high school at 9? 8:30 even? Seriously.

Maursupial said...

I like the job, but I dislike the start time. 7 am is too early to teach or learn.

Jamie said...

our 7-9th jr high starts at 8:15. I guess I find out what time high school starts next year.
Ack!!!! I have a 9th grade child.
I am officially old!!!!

Matthew said...

Maursupial,you've always been a rock star in my book.

Maursupial said...

yeah, especially when we were both in high school.