Friday, August 15, 2008

The Dancing Queen errr King.... Weeeeeellll??

I've spent the past 5 days in California with my sister enjoying the last fading days of my summer vacation. Mostly I've been napping and watching the Olympics (go Michael Phelps!) and HGTV (I don't get that channel at home with my $10/month cable plan) which is fine by me. Mostly my requirements for this trip were to get out of the heat of Las Vegas and relaxation before I go back to work so it's been perfect. Christy took Monday off and we went to my favorite place in the entire world: IKEA. Well, maybe not my favorite place, but it's awful close. Neither of us needed a whole lot, and we didn't end up buying a lot, but we had a great time and got some ideas for later.

My other sister got a teaching job at the elementary school I myself attended this week because a fourth grade teacher died. Be careful what you pray for people, my sister killed a woman to teach at the same school her kids attend! Just kidding Jenn, just kidding. But, school starts next week and she had to clean out her classroom of 8 or so years and muck out her new classroom as well. So I went with her to her old classroom to pack everything up on one day and watched her two kids the next day so that she could work in both rooms the next. It was fun to hang out with my niece and nephew and it was nice to know I was helping my sister. She's really excited and nervous about this switch, but change is good. I had such a good time going back to my own elementary school and seeing how truly tiny it really is.

At one point my nephew Curtis and I were playing in the courtyard while Jennifer talked to her new principal and I was reminiscing about my own 6th grade year at the school when Curtis said, "This place brings back a lot of memories." I thought he was talking about me, but then he followed it up with "Yeah, right over here is where Vincent threw a carton of milk. He's not a nice boy. Over here Jason threw his milk up into the tree and then it fell on his head. He got mad when we all laughed but it was funny. Yep, this place brings back a lot of memories"

Memories. Like the corner of my mind. I love it when a nearly eight year old gets all nostalgic about 2nd grade. He was so serious and grown up about the whole thing that I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. I think was successful.

Last night Christy and I went down to Palm Springs for the Street Fair on Palm Canyon. I LOVE street fairs and festivals. There's just something about items sold on a street, in a tent, from a guy/girl in a tie dyed shirt. I only bought soap (albeit the best soap ever! I wash my face with their peppermint soap and it's absolutely wonderful.) and a couple of snow cones, but it was fun. When we went to the street fair last month we thought it was unbearably hot, but it was a dream in comparison with last night. It was hot and HUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMIIIIIIIDDDDDD. We sweat like crazy and I was happy that my hair was pulled back and had plenty of product or else it would have swelled in size to a point where I don't know if I could have gotten back in my car. Kinda like this:



When we were about halfway through the fair we stopped to watch a Peruvian one man band named something like Uvula or something. Anyway it was the whole mouth harp, chanting, tribal drum kind of thing, beautiful but I always wonder if the people who buy the cd actually ever listen to it. We stopped to listen and straight across from us was a man wearing an OLD dingy belly shirt that said "JAMAICA!!" across the front, low rise (so low we could tell that he was NOT wearing underwear) paper bag waisted man capris, a tiny man purse, and flip flops dancing to the music. His eyes were closed and he was swaying while clapping his hands over his head and shrugging his shoulders in time to the music. As the song continued he kicked off his sandals and danced with greater and greater abandon, throwing his head back and shaking his hair, literally kicking up his heels and moving around so wildly that people moved waaaaaaay back. I think this had two purposes:

1. to give him space, and
2. to avoid getting any crazy rubbed off on them.

Anyway, by the end of the song NO ONE was looking at the musician. It was the best thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Uvula then said, "For this next song I'd like the little ones in the audience to help me. I have some small instruments for the LITTLE ONES to play along with me." I swear he looked right at Mr. Belly Shirt when he said this. Christy and I decided to wait and see if Belly would get an instrument anyway. Yep. He walked right up and picked up the world's tiniest red tambourine and played along with the kids. This time he attempted to make his feet behave and twitched and convulsed through the whole thing, occasionally throwing up a shoulder or shifting his feet with the music. All I can say is, I wish I'd had my camera, 'cause you'd just have to see this guy to understand how completely wonderful it was.

We finally tore ourselves away and found a guy selling woven name bracelets. He had a sign saying "Find ANY name!" Well, that's a thrown gauntlet if I've ever seen one. I've NEVER found anything with my name on it, but there it was... a rainbow colored MAURY bracelet. I would've bought it, too, just on principle, but the owner of the booth was rude so I left. Humph! That'll show him!

When we walked back by Uvula, Belly Shirt had left along with the majority of the crowd. I guess all good things must come to an end.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

I cringed every time I read the name Ulva.

Emily said...

I'm glad you got one more relaxing vacation before school starts. How cool that you found a Maury bracelet! & the dancing King... I wish I'd been there. Well, maybe when he doesn't appear in my dreams tonight I'll be glad he's not part of my subconcious memory.

When does school start?

Melissa said...

I love a good street fair. They can be so...colorful.
That soap looks awesome. I love me some natural soap.

I'm glad you're enjoying the last few days of vacation! Me, too!

Melodie said...

Maury, you are so funny! Honestly, you really didn't need a camera to convey the Uvula and Belly story -- I have a pretty clear mental image just from your incredible description! You should be an English teacher! :) Unless, of course, you want to teach Children's Lit at the college level. Now, I could really see you doing that ;) Have fun with your last days of vacation! Miss you!