Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"I always wanted to be somebody. . . maybe I should have been more specific" -Lily Tomlin

This past Friday night my friend Jill and I were trading text messages about the sad state of our social lives (it was 9 pm on a Friday night and we were both already in our PJ's and the highlight of each of our evenings had been a trip to Vons. Seperately. In two different cities in two different states. Seriously, we're kinda the same person...it's scary)

Anywho, after realizing that I too, was a party animal like no other, I texted Jill, "Yeah, you know me, an inspiration to millions." Here's the crazy thing. I am a chubby, single, boring English teacher who is about to turn 34 years old. I have very little social life, and the highlight of my week is when those wonderful little red envelopes from Netflix arrive in my mailbox. The only time I have a man to gush about he's either a fictional character from an Australian Television show

( Alex! Nick!)
or Toby Stephens. . .

(ahhhhhhhhh Toby!)

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that I'm kinda a sad sack. That's why it's so funny that I have a groupie. Her name is Lucy, or at least that's what I'm calling her. She's a student in my sophomore level honors English class, and A-DOR-A-BLE (That's like a hundred cutes according to my niece Samantha). She's also very popular at my school, fashionable, has tons of friends, etc. Meaning, she'd be one of the girls that tortured me in Junior High. For some reason, Lucy looooooooooooves me.

Now, I'm not going for false modesty. I know I'm a good teacher and my students, on the whole, like me. More importantly, most learn a lot from me. I just have never taught a kid with such a desire to be my best friend EVER!!

She stops by to see me at least 3 times a day when she's NOT coming to my class. She wants to

1. hug me
2. touch my hair
3. comment on my outfit
4. ask my opinion about her outfit
5. ask my opinion on the relative "hotness" of boys who walk by (icky!)
6. know what I did last weekend
7. know what ward I attend or if I think she should "Go Mormon"
8. find out my hopes and dreams
9. go to the movies or shopping together, and
10. be my best friend.

At first I thought she was kidding when she suggested we go shopping at the mall and then go and see a movie. I laughed. Then she looked at me, totally serious, and said, "No, I really want to go. I think we'd have so much fun!!" I replied, "Lucy, that'd be really creepy!" She responded, "No it wouldn't! You're cool! No one would think I was wierd if I hung out with you." I had to explain that I : 33 year old woman, would be the one the target of all the pointing and staring, not her: 16 year old girl.


All I have to say is this: Why can't an adult MAN feel this strongly about me? Huh? Is that too much to ask? Every guy I've dated has been pretty ho-hum about me, but this 16 year old girl wants to spend every waking hour at my side. All I have to say is ... Don't just pray to find someone who will love you... BE SPECIFIC. Heavenly Father has an interesting sense of humor.

11 comments:

Jillian said...

If you really want to feel good about yourself, you should probably go see Definately, maybe.

It won't make you want to crawl in a hole and pull a rock in on top of yourself.....at ALL.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I can only say two words about the pictures in this latest post:





Brokeback. Mountain.


Seriously, I have to tell you this: Have you ever asked out a guy? Just a thought.


Um, not like I've ever had the brass ovaries to do it myself.

Anyhoo...Moving on...

Matthew said...

Maybe this won't make you feel any better, but Lucy is not your only groupie. I am a huge fan as well. I love hanging out with you, picking your brain (less about hot teenage boys, more about paint colors), & shopping. I will try to stop touching your hair...

:)

Em

Maursupial said...

Emily,
you can touch my hair any time you want. You're family. :)

Maursupial said...

Adso:

These men are documented heterosexuals! Damn that Ang Lee! He's ruined pictures of cowboys forever.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Marsupial.


You just go right on thinkin' that. ;-)

Melodie said...

Ooh, ooh, can I join the Maursupial fan club?! I would looove to go to the mall with you, and it wouldn't be creepy at all! It sounds like Lucy is a cute girl with good taste.

Maursupial said...

Melo!!! You're here! I MISS YOU!! I would like to come to Germany and shop with you there. Sounds much more interesting than Vegas!

Jillian said...

There you go...I acutally have a couple of posts started. Apparently, I'm not much of a finisher.

Anonymous said...

You sound just like me (this said as I am watching Zoolander on a saturday night). Just stay away from freaky gasoline fight accidents

Jeanne said...

You should definitely go to the mall together. The Meadows. You'd see all of your other students, who pretend there's not enough time for homework but somehow amazingly find all kinds of time for "shopping" without buying anything. It'd totally raise your street cred and it's always more fun to shop with someone else. Plus, you can share popcorn at the movie.
Just an idea...