Monday, February 11, 2008
Abject Failure. . .
Hey all, I want to apologize in advance for this post. I'm feeling like a total and complete failure today. Every Monday in my AVID class we have a time for celebrations where the kids get up and tell us that they've raised their grades, or did well at their wrestling match or basketball game etc. Today NO ONE wanted to share. I know that there are a lot of things that these kids are doing that are celebration worthy. They come up to me privately and whisper their excitement in my ear. I'm so glad that they trust me with that information, but I'm sad that my AVID class isn't the safe environment I've worked so hard to create. I feel like a failure. In addition, I looked at my class's first semester grades and half of them. .. HALF had at least one D or F. I guess I just don't understand why, with all of the support and with all of the guidance they still just don't get it. I also don't understand why I care more than they do. Oh well. I know that these feelings will pass and that tomorrow the sun's gonna rise, but I'm just so frustrated and sad about it today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
And on top of it all you are probably tired cause I would not stop calling you last night...sorry.
But seriously, I totally understand how you feel. I am flirting with the idea of 15-life, with time off for good behavior, because my apathetic AVID seniors are about to be get the teenage version of shaken baby syndrom.
You are doing a great job with your class! Remember that there are only certain things that you have complete control over and the way your class thinks is not one of them. If they want to get D's or F's it's THEIR fault. You ROCK! I'd love to take your class :)
Thank you, I needed to hear that. It's just so discouraging to work with kids for 1 1/2 years, not sleep at night because of them, and to have them blithely screwing up their lives.
I'm sorry my comment is late, Maurs! But, pretty much I'd say what Molly already said. You're doing a fantastic job and yes, there are only certain things we can control -- other people is not one of them. I encounter what I imagine is similar frustration/anger in my job, too. It sucks. If you weren't a good teacher, you wouldn't care.
Post a Comment