Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So what did YOU do this weekend?

This weekend was my brother David's 30th birthday, and he's kinda taking the loss of his youth this way:



So, in honor of St. David's Day (November 17) we took a little road trip



in order to dance with this lady:



On our way to see her we went to the best donut shop in the world The


(In Yucca Valley, California if you want to make a pilgrimage)

Then we went to watch our nephew Curtis'



game. I must say that he's improved since the last time I watched him play (2 years ago). He scored a goal and stopped a couple as goalie.

That night we ate at the best restaurant in the world



Then, on Sunday after church we (now including Christy) drove to Mission Viejo to stay with Jena's Aunt Lynda and Uncle Steve. They made us feel instantly welcome, had a lovely guest bed, and Aunt Lynda introduced Christy and I to Michael Ball in concert on dvd. I learned a lot.



For instance, did you know that he's had no formal voice training? Also, his dimples may actually go on for miles. Oh, and his version of "Hot Stuff"? Not actually very hot, but very very very amusing.

On Monday (yes, I took a personal day. I love my brother that much) we drove to Burbank and went on a WB Back lot tour where we saw this:




and this:



And the place where this:



is filmed.

Then, after a lunch we went to the Ellen taping, where we hoped to see these guys:



But instead, saw this girl:



We were understandably disappointed until she told us that we'd each be getting two tickets to



and then we became huge fans. Just kidding. She's annoying (in that, "Oh my gosh I am just the most darling thing in the universe!" way), and kinda dumb.

Then, on the way home we stopped at



and our happiness was complete.

Love you David! Thanks for inviting me along. I now can say that I have danced with Ellen.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm so jealous. except for the Miley Cyrus part. I'm so sad you didnt' get to see the cute boys ... ah well.
so who exactly is Micheal Ball? and yes.. Jena and David totally know how to party. It is their forte.

Matthew said...

Yeah. Who is Michael Ball?

Ellen. She dances? Before reading this post, I would never have known.

I am jealous that you ate at the Jelly Donut. I dream about their chocolate cake donuts. I love that you can go and get a hot one at 2am. (I never did that, Mom.)

Is it as good as I remember? The last time I ate there I had to sit down at the table next to the one with Smoking Old Dude With The Spider-web Tattoo On His Elbow. (Was that his real name, or was that just what we called him?) After 14 years I’m sure he’s dead. And you can’t smoke inside a store anymore. Ok, I just answered my own question. The place isn’t the same—it’s better.

Maursupial said...

Ellen does, in fact dance at the beginning of each show. We danced during every commercial break and for quite a while before the show started as well. When it was finished, I was tired. Yes, The Jelly Donut is even more wonderful than it used to be thanks to the California Clean Air Act. We ate our donuts there and the smell of cigarette smoke is almost completely gone. I'm sure that old spider web tattoo guy is dead. You can't smoke that much and eat that many donuts and survive well into old manhood. I bet he wasn't as old as he looked.

Michael Ball is the original Marius from Les Miserables and Jena's Aunt Lynda is OBSESSED with him.

Melissa said...

Dang, that's the rockinest 30th birthday ev-ah! Happy Birthday, David!!! Wow, you really took the bullet giving up all that time for your brother, Maurs. You're a trooper.

How fun!!!

And while I'm no Miley Cyrus fan, isn't she 15? Weren't we all a little stupid at 15? Or was that just me...

Emily said...

Fun road trip! Ditto Jamie's jealous comment. So many cool stops. We stop that many times when we go on road trips, but they're all bathroom stops. You reminded me that I really need to go to Ikea again soon.

So, are you now a bigger fan of Miley Cyrus or Michael Ball?

Maursupial said...

Melissa,
Yes, we were all this stupid, but we weren't all this annoying. I know this 'cause I've spent the last 10 years of my life with 16 year olds and mmmmmmmm..... I stick with my original opinion on Ms. Cyrus.

Emily,
it's a tough call, but I'd have to go with Michael Ball, even if he does sing "Hot Stuff"

Malissa said...

Now that's a weekend road trip!! The donut looks so good I can taste just sitting here.

I saw a few seconds of the 'Ellen and Miley' interview on t.v. If I had known you were there I might have looked for you in the audience instead of changing the channel because she was sooooo 'annoying'!!

Freddy said...

What a great sister. You are totally awesome for doing that!