Sunday, November 23, 2008

Come What May and Love It

We had a wonderful lesson in Relief Society today, and my heart is so full that I needed to share some of what we discussed here on my blog.

Her text was Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's October 2008 General Conference talk "Come What May and Love It". It deals with adversity and I just felt like the message was just for me.





"There may be some who think that General Authorities rarely experience pain, suffering, or distress. If only that were true. While every man and woman on this stand today has experienced an abundant measure of joy, each also has drunk deeply from the cup of disappointment, sorrow, and loss. The Lord in his wisdom does not shield anyone from grief or sadness."

"But whenever my steps led through seasons of sadness and sorrow, my mother's words often came back to me: "Come what may, and love it." How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't-at least not in the moment. I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life."

Elder Wirthlin gave four things we can do to better deal with adversity:

1. Learn to laugh
2. Seek for the eternal
3. Understand the principle of compensation
"That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them
in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful
know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears
of rejoicing and gratitude."
4. Put your trust in our Heavenly Father and His Son.

"The Lord Jesus Christ is our partner, helper, and advocate. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful. If we do our part, He will step in. He who descended below all things will come to our aid. He will comfort and uphold us. He will strengthen us in our weakness and fortify us in our distress. He will make weak things become strong."

"I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adeversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it. As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial. We can say, as did my mother, 'Come what may, and love it.'"

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Hey-I just read this the other day for a fireside that I had to give and I loved it...come what may.

Wendy Niceler said...

Thanks for that Maury. I needed that. I really did.

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite talks this time around.