Saturday, November 8, 2008

I know it's late... HALLOWEEN POST!

I went to Southern Utah for Halloween. My brother and his girls called me the night before I came to tell me what they were going dress up as. Cate (3 years old) asked me "What are you going to be?" I told her that I was going as myself. She told me, "No, that's what you are. You have to be something else."

We compromised. Instead of her beautiful cool Auntie, I went as Fat Sick Auntie.


My parents' wonder dog Charlie went as Derek Lowe, Dodger pitcher. She was fine with the whole gender bender thing. I for one was shocked as I always got into trouble for dressing my brothers up like princesses when we were little. I guess my dad has been worn down. . . First you accept, and then you embrace....



My niece Cate went as a very thoughtful Cinderella. What she wanted to be was a scary ghost whose eyes bleed. (I'm soooooooooooooo not kidding. Ask my sister-in-law.)



Here's my brother and his family. Don't hate them because they're beautiful. They can't help it. It's just who they are. (Plus they're really fun and cool and you just can't hate them. Dang it.)



Who are these masked women? My exceedingly adorable nieces. Gwen is a dental hygenist, 'cause who didn't want to dress up like a dental hygenist when they were five? I know it was my dream. Of course, my mom just bought me a Batgirl mask and made me wear my blue Sunday dress instead. 'Cause, 1. my Mom doesn't love Halloween, and 2. Superheroes sometimes probably need to class it up a little.

Bethany was the cutest cowgirl in the world. I fell in love with her pink cowgirl shirt.



This is Bethany and the stick horse SHE MADE. I mean it, she made it herself. This kid is truly brilliant. Have I mentioned that she played a violin solo in church? No? Well, she did. She's 7. She's my hero.



Austen was a fan of English World Cup Soccer (Thanks MaryAnna). His costume came all the way from England for reals. As you can see, Austen looooooooooooooves being dressed up. If you could read his mind I think it would sound something like this:

"Mum! Whydja go 'n do this t'me? Wot di' I do to ya?" (remember, he's got a tough British accent)



To which I would reply: It could be worse, Austen, it could be worse:



Suck it up. It's a long way from your heart.

8 comments:

Emily said...

What cute pictures! You DO have adorable, brilliant nieces! Your sister-in-law is making a weird face though. & her house is a little messy in the background - hope no one notices. ;)

Thanks for coming Maury. It's always fun to see our beautiful cool auntie/sister. As Catherine said, that's what you are! (& thanks for the post complementing me & mine)

Austen & Charlie looked great, even though they spent the evening sulking because they had such mean owners that would humiliate them that.

nurselynn said...

Wow, those little girls are divine! And I just happen to have three darling little grandsons about their ages. Maury! Shall we see about hooking them all up in a dozen years or so? Our family always wanted to get in on the Lowe fun.
Your doggies look cute too. I do hope they were rewarded with sufficient treats to make it worth it for them.

Matthew said...

Maursupial,
Thanks for the shout-out. I love you Maur Sioux. Who wouldn't love someone who thinks my kids are 1)adorable 2)beautiful 3)fun 4)cool and 5)brilliant?

Lynn,
Bethany is already spoken for in a deal with the Mecham family... but I'm still looking for future husbands who are worthy of the younger ones. Send along resumes and I'll look them over.

Matthew

Ma n Pa said...

Maury - this is not your ma or your pa, but your brother's mother-in-law! I hope you don't mind me taking a peek from time to time on your ever-so-fun blog. You make me smile. I wish I could be as cool & beautiful as you are...

I saw a clearance rack today full of Halloween T-shirts. One said, "You can't scare me, I have a mother-in-law!" I couldn't laugh.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the Halloween pics.

Hope things are going well in Vegas. Happy November!

And hey - my sixth graders are totally enjoying Ray Bradbury! We read a few excerps from "The Martian Chronicles" last week, and today we read "All Summer in a Day." It was a grey, rainy day today. Perfect for the story! I pulled the window blinds all the way up so we could get the full view of the drizzly day. We turned off the lights, turned on the audio recording, & the students followed along in their books. Very cool.

user said...

(doubles over) Too cute. Hurts.

Jamie said...

love the pictures. I really wanted to see Bethany's horse she made. And I never would have known that Matthew and Emily even dressed up. We need to talk to Em about details. Glad you could be there for the big spooky night. I heard dinner was totally gross!

love Austen and Charlie's costumes. Austen looks a little indignant/annoyed. That's for the shoes buddy!

Bethany said...

Hey miss Nablopomo, where's my daily fix? ;)

Emily said...

(That was me, not Bethany)