Thursday, November 13, 2008

Au Revoir House Princess...


Tonight the world is a little darker for me and my family. My sister's wonderful dog Alyx died today, and I'm so sad I can hardly see to write. Alyx was, like all beloved dogs, absolutely worthy of every single bit of love and affection that was showered upon her, and I know that I am not alone in saying that she will be missed.

Alyx wasn't flashy or in your face, and if you didn't take the time to get to know her you might have considered her boring or aloof. But, this first impression could not have been more incorrect. Alyx was a quiet little dog, always waiting for you to notice her, never forcing the issue. When you did notice her, she cuddled as close as she could and looked up into your eyes with an almost palpable expression of love.

But, what made Alyx more than just a sweet dog was that she had a hidden dark side. One of the reasons she'd cuddle up to you when you pet her was so that she could wipe her almost constant eye boogers on your leg. We called her the House Princess because she KNEW that she was in charge of her house and everything and everyone in it. She didn't like to play with toys and would go so far as to bite the other dogs if they dared to play. She liked to tell on her brother Gunner if he did anything wrong (or even if he didn't), and bloodied my little Scout's eye twice when she displeased Alyx (which she accomplished by merely existing. She was NOT a big fan of Scout's). She killed birds in the back yard (a feat Christy still can't explain considering her two inch long legs and chubby body), and a baby bunny, and her fearless nature caused Christy a lot of worry over the years.

Alyx loved her mom and would wait patiently by the front door for her to return home, even if that meant sitting my the door for several days at a time. That kind of loyalty doesn't come along every day or even with every dog. I know that my Scout loved me, but she didn't wait by the door for me.

Alyx,our house princess, you are loved, and you will be missed.

6 comments:

Jillian said...

Sad, sad day....Au revior,indeed.

Matthew said...

Thanks, Maursupial. I love that dog too.

While listing her accomplishments you forgot to mention that she also killed a rattlesnake on a hike in Ogden with Christy.

Thanks for the obituary. if anyone deserves one, it's this little dog.

Emily said...

I don't know if Alyx loved, or even liked, or even ever noticed me, but I love her because she loved Christy. & I love Christy too.

You made me cry Maury.

user said...

You made me cry, too. I've heard about Alyx for years. Christy, my heart goes out to you. You're in my prayers.

Malissa said...

Oh, breaks the heart...dogs like that don't come along very often.

Christy said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Alyx would of been baffled by all the attention, but secretly loving it!