
Why do I do these things to myself? Huh? Why? haven't I learned anything from my Labor Day visit to the emergency room a few years ago?
I have a problem. I can't say no.
How did this happen to me? I mean, I'm a child of the 80's. I watched Nancy Reagan tell Arnold Drummond to "Just Say No!" Somehow, the message didn't take. I say yes to too many things. I mistakenly thought I'd learned how a few years ago, but I seem to have relapsed. How else can you explain the week I'm having?
Can you be AVID Site Coordinator? "Yes." Will you complete your master's degree while teaching full time? "Yes" Will you design and teach a class for my school district? "Yes." Want a new puppy? "Yes!" Oh yeah, and will you teach another class for the district at the last minute? "Yes." By the way, for that class that I asked you to take on at the last minute, and out of the goodness of your heart, will you make 10,000 copies of student notes and make sure that you find high, medium, and low examples? Oh yeah and can you find a video clip that we can use for this presentation that we promised you was "ready to go"? Oh, and can you do that RIGHT NOW? "uhhhhhhhh. . . yeah?" Can you meet with me, your principal, and let me tell you what I think about your teaching? "Yes." Can you meet with the district AVID leadership so they can tell you if you've done a decent job at all? "yes." Oh, and one last thing, can you create and present a powerpoint on Deng Xiaoping’s Three Fors for class tonight? "Yes."
My week has been and will continue to be a really stressful one. I know that in the long run saying yes to these things will be a good thing, but right now I just want to scream "NO!!!", run home, close the curtains, crawl into bed, cry, and suck my thumb.
4 comments:
Say no, Maurs. That is ridiculously too much. Who the heck do they think they are?? Last minute this, last minute that. You should moon them. This definitely calls for a mooning. Perhaps a drive-by mooning. I feel for you. I can't move my head (without sharp pain)because of the stress knots in my shoulders. I would moon the judge, but in my knotty condition, I wouldn't be able to make a fast get away and the bailiff would arrest me.
Isn't working fun?????
Yeah, I know. I don't know how to get myself out of these things now that I'm in them. . .that's the problem. If I could just teach English all day and not worry about the other nonesense, my life would be so much better.
I welcome you to the year of no. But it really hasn't panned out as I expected it would.
Ooh, I like the mooning. There's also Xeroxing whatever part of you that you feel would be appropriate in the situation, adding a big lipstick mark, then mailing it anonymously to the people who need to do that most.
Just a thought.
Post a Comment