Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Oprah is Not my Co-Pilot


A couple of years ago, in a fit of creativity, my brother and I designed a couple of shirts. The ideas were mine, the execution and design, his.

My favorite was a t-shirt that read "Oprah is my Co-pilot". I gave the shirts as gifts to two of my favorite people (I planned on giving them to two of my other favorite people as well, but they live 3,000 miles away from me and it would have required a trip to the post office. I don't do well with that. On a similar note: Meliss, your b-day present is sitting on my kitchen counter. Here's hoping you get it before we're 35!).

It was a joke, of course, but as with every good joke, it was based in reality. I love me some Oprah Winfrey.

Oprah and I have had a long and important friendship.

We've laughed.


We've cried:



We've learned.


She taught me how to avoid being killed by a rapist/killer (NEVER let them take you to a second location). She taught me how to fold fitted sheets (with Martha Stewart's help). She taught me that I like Faith Hill. She taught me how to find a good bra. She taught me that it's ok to want to kill your best friend sometimes when you're traveling cross country together and she insists on singing every song really loud in your ear. She taught me (through Dr. Oz) what my poo should look like.

She encouraged me to


And I'm tryin' O, I really am.

But here's the deal: I think I need a break. Today, I cancelled my Oprah.com membership.

Yes.

I know.

I can't believe it either.

I don't know if the straw that broke this camel's back was the Oprah dvds (which I own), the XM radio station, the Youtube channel, or the "life class" based on this book:


But I found myself groaning when I saw ads for "Oprah's Big Give" instead of planning to watch it with my sister-in-law Jena like I did for "Oprah's Legend's Ball". I haven't watched it at all.

I'm not saying I'm anti-Oprah, I love her too much for that, but I think we need some time apart. To think and regroup. I need to know who "I" am separate from O.

We've had some good times O, it's not you, it's me--Well, it's kinda you.

I'm piloting my own life now, and I like to think that's the way Oprah would want it.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

I'm sticking to the thought that the Oprah phenom is proof that the world wants religion, or at least something to believe in.

What the heck am I supposed to do with the t-shirt now? Are we burning them in protest?

Maursupial said...

No. Please don't burn that piece of brilliance. I'm just taking a break. We're on a break!

Matthew said...

I'm like those cool guys in New York who started wearing Hush Puppies in the mid 90's. You're all following my lead on this. I started not listening to Oprah about 32 years ago.

user said...

I hear ya. Oprah and I take breaks sometimes, too. You'll be back.

btw, the "Oprah is My Co-Pilot" t-shirt is brillant!