Monday, April 21, 2008

"To Do" Myself In...


I've been really overwhelmed lately with the sheer weight of my many responsibilities. I can't remember the last time I watched a good show on television (Dancing with the Stars just doesn't count even though I love it with my whole unreserved heart. I know it's crap tv, but I love this brand o' crap!) without jumping up and doing something else or worrying about what I need to do so much that I just end up turning it off and getting to work.

So, this weekend, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I reasoned to myself that I was panicking because I was blowing things out of proportion. "I just need to make a list," I told myself, "and schedule everything out. That way I'll see that I have plenty of time to finish everything and I'll see that it's not as bad as I think it is."

The result: I was right. It's not as bad as I thought it was...it's worse. Instead of feeling all empowered and capable like I usually do when I make a list for myself, I had to sit down and have a good cry. Then, I sucked it up, finished grading research papers and got my unit plan done for my Secondary Education Curriculum class. So, two items down, 5,000 to go!!

Here's hoping I make it through without doing this:

7 comments:

nurselynn said...

Hang in there, Maury Sue. You CAN do it all. You rock! And just think, you have the cute little Austen to relax with at the end of the day. Some advice for now: pace yourself! Some advice for the future... learn to say the little two letter word that seems to be so hard for women to utter NO! (practice, ok? no thanks, nope, naw, negative, notgonnadoit)
seriously though, you have my undying admiration for all that you have been able to accomplish. I'm sure the end of the school year both as a student and a (fantastic) teacher is hard enough without all the extras you've been roped into.
remember we love you and pray for you!

Maursupial said...

I don't think relaxing and Austen belong in the same sentence, but you're right. When I was in the middle of grading research papers it was nice to have to take him out for yet another potty break, and as I'm sitting here typing, he's biting my fingers. I'd be seriously crazy if I didn't have him.

Jillian said...

Yes- I too nearly went on suicide watch when I decided to make myself a little 'to do' list. When you have to turn the page on your list....that's bad.

Chu can dooo eet!

Anonymous said...

love you maur....

Anonymous said...

add a drawer of silverware being thrown on the floor and change the ambivelent peers to horrified children looking on and you've seen me at my worst mother moments when there's too much on my to do list as well.......
you still love me right?

Anonymous said...

LOVE the clip. LOVE IT. Is that from "Real Genius"?

My DH just pointed out that Val Kilmer has not aged well.

Maursupial said...

It IS from Real Genius! Well spotted. Yeah, Val has gotten a little paunchy.