Thursday, March 6, 2008

three things. . . maybe four

1. It was my mom's birthday this Wednesday. Let me just tell you...she is the best mom EVER. I know a lot of people think this about their moms, but I'm right. Example: She used to wake up every morning when we were in high school and cook us a hot breakfast. I know, I know. That's good. But wait, there's more: She did this before early morning seminary. That means she got up before 5 am in order to do this (and because there are six of us and we're spaced roughly 2 years apart, she did this for 13 years) The other kids in seminary were insanely jealous. I remember one guy who got ANGRY whenever it was "Pancake Day". Of course, my brother Matthew and I lied to him on "Oatmeal Day" more than once. It was fun watching him get angry, and trust me, if you'd had my Seminary teacher for Old Testament you'd need to find fun when ever and where ever you could! When my high school friends complained about their mothers, or told us how much they embarrassed them, I had nothing to add. I was never embarrased by my mom, never "hated" her the way teenaged girls are wont to do, and, because my sisters left home en masse after my freshman year in high school, relied on her wise advice and counsel. I still do. My mom and I had a lot of one on one time together (because of the mass sister exodus mentioned above)while I was a snotty, self conscious teenager, and I'm so grateful. I love her. She's never forgotten that she's my mother, but she's been my friend too. I love that.

So, here's my shame. On her birthday this year, did I write an ode to my mother? No. My sister-in-law did. Thanks a lot Emily! You made me look bad! Humph!

2. My friend Melissa sent me this article. It's about single women and the whole "Do I settle and get married, or wait for Prince Charming and die alone" debate. I read it, and at first, I was really detached and philosophical, even thinking that it brought some interesting points. Yada yada yada, and now I'm depressed 'cause, in the words of my fabulous friend Jill "I don't even recall having the OPPORTUNITY to settle, let alone thumbed my nose at that option." I've been kinda sad about this whole thing. I am going to die alone...with a hairy chin and twenty corgis all named for fictional male characters so unrealistically manly or wonderful that they make all real men look sad and pathetic. My nieces and nephews are going to have to force their kids to come see me, and I'll get so fat that they'll have to cut a hole in the side of my house to remove my bloated disgusting corpse. So, thanks Melissa, for the food for thought!

3. I hate teaching sophomores to write research papers.


4. In spite of 3 different birthday parties, 5 cakes, and 2 birthday dinners at restaurants and one trip to Cafe Rio (Pork Barbecoa! Yummmmmmmm) I lost 2.4 pounds this week. That means I've lost 8.2 so far. WOOT!

9 comments:

Jillian said...

I have an entire rant in the works regarding the "Marry Him" article ...hold please.

Jillian said...

And honestly, I really doubt that my singledom is due to my setting the bar TOO high.

Have you seen the jokers that I have dated lately?

Anonymous said...

congrats on the 8.2 lbs. It's hard work. I am at 1 lb...
very tiny woot

Maursupial said...

OOOOOh a Jill Rant!! I love them!!!
woot! Jamie, WOOT!

user said...

Four things, maybe five:

Read the excellent response to the Marry Him! article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bella-depaulo/marry-him-atlantic-ma_b_87045.html

And for all the blog readers, just because I forward it, doesn't mean I agree with it! :) The article started a fascinating email discussion among 20 smart women.

Your mom does rock.

Finally, 8.2!!! Yahoo!!! That's awesome! You're inspiring! I've also lost 8 lbs. but two days into this week, I've blown all flex points plus MORE. (The entire box of Samoas did not help.) You give me hope! Perhaps I can save the week.

I love you!

Maursupial said...

No blame Meliss, just love. I know you didn't agree with it, it's my crazy neurotic brain that took me where it wanted.

Mycket said...

I liked the article! Did you really not? I am totally fascinated with this whole thing.
And NO, Maurs! The future you've envisioned WILL NOT happen. You're too good for any of that stinkin' thinkin'

Anonymous said...

we got our thin mints and samoa's saturday. stinking girl scouts!!!!!!! Mark ordered too much, there goes my 1 tiny pound...

user said...

Girl scouts should give up the green and brown to don the devil-red color. Evil spawn, saboteurs of good intentions!

So yeah, that means I also ate a box of thin mints over the past 4 days. My week is not looking good.

Carren and Jill, I'm eagerly awaiting blog responses to the article!