Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Insubordination


I had to write up one of my students today for the first time since I started working at A-Tech. It was totally justified and the only thing I could do, but it still frustrates me. I just don't send kids to the office. I don't. I didn't when I taught in the hood and I don't now. I have always had really good classroom discipline and managment, and frankly, I'm willing to deal with quite a bit.

The write up today makes me doubly sad because it was one of my AVID students and a kid that I genuinely love. She's had a rough year, and her bizarre reactions to everything only compound that. Until very recently, she was good for me, but suddenly she's decided that I am the enemy along with everyone else. She makes snotty comments every time I say anything and refuses to participate appropriately in class. I've tried to reason with her, I've tried to understand her, and I've finally had to just give up. I hate that this is the case, because I know that she has greatness inside her.

So, I know it was justified, and I'm not beating myself up about this, but I'm sad. I just hate to see a kid with so much potential decide to squander it and alienate everyone around her.

6 comments:

Jillian said...

Did you make the face that the bear is making at her as she left?

Because that's just the kind of mature teacher that I am, I totally would have mocked her on her way out.

Maursupial said...

No, but I felt like it. Mostly I just smiled and went back to business as usual. AVID was fun two periods later when she was bawling because I'm so mean though.

user said...

yeah, I was trying to decide if you were the bear or she was the bear. Then I decided you were the bear because only a teacher bear would wear that poofy hat and medallion.

But the real question is: did you wear the same poofy hat and medallion last Tuesday, too??

Love you, Maurs. Sorry you had a rough day.

{Lil brat deserved it.}

What??? who said that??

user said...

wait, there's no medallion. Only a gold vest-thingy. Yeah, only a teacher would wear that vest-thingy.
nevermind. I'm done.

Emily said...

Yeah, she deserved it, but it's still sad. That's why you're such a good teacher & mentor for these kids, because you still feel for them when they don't live up to their potential.

Anonymous said...

Like I said to ya before, you're trying to change not just one student, but the entire cultural matrix in which she exists, a culture that (I'm guessing) does not support learning nor how to behave in a school -- and as you know way better than I do, success in school is MASSIVELY due to how you learned to behave. You're trying, Maury, you're trying. Bravissima!