Maybe it was because I'm exhausted. Maybe it was because I deal with an obscene amount of nonesense on a daily basis. Maybe it was because the article poked at the soft underbelly of all of my fears and neuroses, but I have been in a kind of funk over this article. I didn't believe everything she said, but I felt like I'd been kicked in the gut. Repeatedly. By steel toed boots. I can't blame it completely for my feelings on the matter, I've been in a funk. . . there's no doubt. All of this teaching high school and running an AVID program, and trying to complete my Master's Degree has taken a toll, and maybe the article was just the nail in the coffin.
Anywhooo, my darling friend Melissa who'd sent the thing in the first place, also told me to read this response.
Ahhhh logic. How do I love thee? So many ways. Seriously I could almost kiss the woman who wrote it, because she put so eloquently what I have always believed to be true, when I'm not in a pit of despair. Whew! I feel so much better.
11 comments:
Seriously Melissa...it was almost over between me and you. I know you had no idea how profoundly that 'Marry Him!' nonsense would effect me, a virtual stranger, but we so almost broke up over it!
Knowing you sent the response article helps.
I don't understand why you are giving her such a hard time about this. She didn't write the article or even say she liked it. It was just something to discuss.
I think we all need to go to our respective corners. I don't think anyone meant to be hard on Melissa, I think since I know Jill's sense of humor I understand that she never meant Melissa's feelings to be hurt. Neither did I. Frankly my response tells a lot more about me.
Melissa and I received the article together from a mutual friend. The article was simply for discussion purposes, not as a means in which to tell any one else how to live. The discussion on that particular list serve went on for several days. Some very intelligent women and discussion were witnessed and responded to over those days. Perhaps the purpose of sending the article was overlooked by the emotional response that I believe we all experienced. It happens. I'm just glad you all were able to clear that up.
Holy crap, i get busy for a couple of days and see what I miss??!??! Now the "clearing the air" post makes more sense. (I responded to that before scrolling down to see what else I had missed.)
Yeah, it was forwarded for discussion and I included Maury because she's much smarter than me and always has interesting things to say. :) Sounds like everyone realizes that. Thanks for sticking up for me, guys! :)
oh, and by the way, Jill, if you were going to break up with me over a silly article, that just proves you're too focused on finding Princess Charming and it's time for you to learn how to settle. ;)
Now that started a discussion ;)
Yes it did, you potstirrer, you!!
I love you Maury (and apparently so do the men at Wal*Mart) :)
Post a Comment