Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's a Long Way From Your Heart.




My dad isn't big on sympathy. This has a lot to do with being raised by two no nonsense parents on a family farm, but more to do with his super human pain threshold. The man has suffered more physical pain than 10 people put together, and he has never, ever, let it stop him. As an adult, I can understand why these two things have short circuited his sympathy receptors. As a child.....notsomuch.

Growing up, if my siblings or I got hurt in some way and came up to him (or, to be honest, Mom who was generally sitting near him) crying and holding our injuries, we were told to "stop your blubbering. It's a long way from your heart." The other, even less comforting response, given most often when he was feeling a little more irritated and/or obnoxious was: "we could always amputate at the neck." I know it will shock you, but as a child I never found either of these responses overly comforting. Have you ever tried to stop your blubbering mid blubber? It's not as easy as you might think. And amputation at the neck? Even as a very small child I was pretty certain he was kidding, but......

Now that we're adults we laugh about it, often using either of these catch phrases as a short hand explanation for our adult behavior. For instance, after spending nearly 24 hours in excruciating pain before heading to the emergency room, I could quickly explain why I hadn't considered my condition serious: "I figured it was a long way from my heart."

When I arrived and they asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 (which is the most idiotic thing ever. Hmmmmmmm. I'm doubled over and crying from the pain in my abdomen, and you want me to choose which sad face best resembles what I'm feeling? Really??) I said "Uh, eight?" and the nurse rolled her eyes at me and said, "You're at a 10." Well, if she KNEW, why did she ask me? Huh? I mean, ask a stupid question....


On a side note: My dad had a massive heart attack a few years ago right before Christmas. It was terrifying, but after it was clear that he was going to make it all of us kids admitted to each other that we'd each been tempted to tell him to suck it up 'cause "it's a long way from your heart." I don't know that he'd have found it as funny as we did.

Why do I bring this up? Well, the other night as I was chopping lettuce for a Chinese Chicken Salad to take to a work potluck, I cut the heck out of my thumb. It was a little like this:



It took several bandaids, nearly an entire roll of toilet paper, and a lot of swearing to finally get the bleeding under control (I think it was the swearing that finally did it). Once it stopped bleeding through multiple bandaids in a matter of seconds I decided I'd be fine. I mean, it was a long way from my heart, and so what if my thumb had developed a pulse so pronounced I could both see and feel the blood pumping to the injury site?


(2 days post-chop.)



When I spoke to my sister Christy later that night she asked me if I had considered going to Urgent Care to make sure it didn't need stitches. I told her, "Pffft! It's a long way from my heart. If it's still bleeding profusely tomorrow I'll go."

I know this makes me sound super tough, but down deep I think I might have been afraid they'd decide to amputate at the neck.

Mission accomplished Dad. Mission accomplished.

9 comments:

Mycket said...

ah, the damage parents can do...

Jamie said...

good one Maury.
looks like it's healing nicely and it IS a long way from your heart! ;)

Jillian said...

I'm not sure if it makes me a bad friend or just a fat friend (probably a little of both) but my first thought was, "What happened to the salad?" Seriously though....I've got to know.

When I was a kid we got the standard, thinly veiled threat of, "Quit crying before I give you something to cry about." So many things to wonder (and cast judgement upon) when you get to be 31 and have no kids of you own....like who is the kind soul who thinks all of these little sayings up?

Emily said...

I love those quotes, & try to use them with my own kids as much as possible!

Jamie said...

p.s. I love the uncle sam poster at the top of the post. I somehow missed that the first time around. DO you have that hanging in your classroom because that would be great when it's time for Jane Eyre discussions!

Maursupial said...

Yeah, it WAS a long way from my heart. I'm glad I didn't spend hours in Urgent Care when I didn't need to. Without Dad I'd be a whinier whiny baby than I am, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Christy said...

Suck it up!

Malissa said...

Ouch!! Glad it's healing well! I love the poster too. I just might need to hang one on the fridge at my place!

Mom and Dad said...

What doesn't kill you merely makes you stronger. Without me you would be a weaker soul. Dad