Friday, October 9, 2009

Cheaper than therapy....

Once upon a time when I was a junior at BYU I had a day when it felt like all the forces in the Universe (and my evil American Literature professor) were conspiring against me. I came home in a lather of anger, frustration and bile muttering incoherent threats aimed at peoplewhothinktheyknoweverythingjustbecausethey'republishedpoets, and bemoaning my sad state--brilliant, but misunderstood.

Somehow, the anger I felt at my professor expanded to include all of the boys who refused to love me until I rolled it all into a fiery ball of righteous indignation. "Why do I allow these MEN to influence me?!" I bellowed in misguided feminist furor.

I knew just what to do. I would CUT MY HAIR!! That would show all of them.

Why did I have long hair in the first place? To please boys, that's why, and what good was it doing me? Did those boys ask me out? NO!! (Perhaps this experience sheds some light on one of the reasons they didn't. Hmmmmm. Nah! I'm charming, darn it!)

Luckily, I marched my indignant self to the lovely and talented Betsy (who cuts my sister's hair to this day) who gave me this haircut:




It was 1995. Don't be hatin'.

Anywho, that haircut changed my whole perspective. I felt sassy and in control, and those boys who told me to never cut my hair yet never asked me out? Well... they still didn't ask me out, but they thought my hair was cute.

Flash forward to now. I've had really long hair for a really long time and it was just boring me to death. I feared cutting it, not because of the rejection of men (I have come to terms with the fact that I am, in fact, a man repeller) but because I didn't want to have old white lady/mom hair.

The start of this school year has been incredibly stressful for a host of reasons I'm not going to get into here for fear of releasing the "Indignation Beast" that still resides inside me, and things finally built to a boiling point. What did I do? I made an appointment with the lovely and talented Melinda who is cheaper than a shrink AND is really good with a straightening iron.

She listened to my incoherent ramblings (IhatethewayIlookeverysingledayandIdon'tknowwhattodo'causeIdon'twantmomhairorlooklikeRonaldMcDonaldsowhatshouldIdo?) calmed my fears, and gave me the cutest, sassiest, non mom hair cut ever. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

So here it is:

Straight:




Curly:


A good haircut can save your life.... or your sanity.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I wouldn't say you're a "man repeller". You're prettier than you seem to think. =)

Jamie said...

LOVE the straight look. How long does that take to straighten? and Maury you have the greatest picture smile. I look pained and uncomfortable, that's where my kids get the painful picture expressions i guess. I know you've been wanting a change and I am so glad you are happy with the results. you look beautiful!

Annukka said...

Your hair looks CUTE!!! Love it!

Oh I remember Betsy! You indroduced her to me. She did such an amazing job with everyone's hair. I went back once and tried to get a haircut by her but I guess she sees only her regular clients anymore...

I would pay anything to be able to find an excellent hairstylist again. (I had one like Betsy in Sac.) Until then...I get easy to take care of mom haircuts. :) :) :)

Miss you Maury!

Mycket said...

ahhhhh, Betsy. How I miss her.
Dude, Maurs, that may be the cutest haircut I've ever seen on you! Superb!
It looks fantastic! Congrats!

Emily said...

Love it!!! I need a non-mom haircut. You have inspired me to call a stylist reccomended to me by a friend & do something drastic. (I'll try not to blame you if it goes horribly wrong.)

Love your curls too - jealous!

Molly Shannon-Koch said...

AWWW!! I love the hair. I especially like the curly over the straight. You know how it is, one lalways favors what they don't have... I have always loved your hair curly, even from way back to the hallowed halls of La Contenta Jr High.

Christy said...

Cute! I love it, I like it better curly in the pictue, but straght hair sometimes doesn't show up as well in picture (i tell myself) so I'm looking forward to seeing it in real life.

Da Browns said...

I love 'em both...beautiful!

Jillian said...

Yay! I love it!

(And for the record, I got halfway through your post and thought. "If she doesn't post a pic, I am going to have to deal with her!")

Jennifer said...

Both look great. You look happy! Love you lots!

Melissa said...

I love it!!! I did the same thing last week after our IM conversation about hair -- mine went from way too long to shoulder length, but nowhere near as cute as yours! I love it curly and straight!

Kammy T said...

MAURY!! I hope this doesn't freak you out too much, and its a long story how I came to your blog, but remember me, Kammy? From our NBC watching nights in your apartment. You had super-fab hair, and I loved watching Friends with you. About a month ago I was explaining to my daughter about what a Yucca was and thought of you. I'd love to catch up sometime....my e-mail is kammythompson at hotmail. You look great and I love your hair! I remember and miss Betsy.....