Normally the second my body leaves official CCSD air space I morph from Respsonsible English Teacher Me into Vacation Mode Me.
V.M.M. likes to wear pajamas for an inordinate amount of time, eat food that makes me fat and queasy, shop for unneccessary items, and forget she has a job.
R.E.T. is dilligent and (appropriately) loves teenagers.
V.M.M. sleeps in and wants to bean teenagers in the head with popcorn at movies.
I know. I know. I'm complex.
Anyway, this year's V.M.M. kickoff just hasn't gone as planned. "Why?" you may ask?
Welllllllll..... It started like this:
I woke up early for the first time in my life. I had a nice morning walk with Austen, got ready and was driving on the freeway to work when I heard the unmistakable flump flump flump of a:

Luckily David was home and is WONDERFUL. He came, picked me up and took me to work and then went back, put the donut on the wheel and got my car back to my apartment. (He's currently my favorite person.) I thought, "I'll get one of my friends to give me a ride home. No problem!" except one thing.
I'd given David my keys that morning so that he could fix the whole tire thing. This included the key to my apartment. Normally, this would not have been a big deal, but my heater's been broken and conditions in my apartment have been a little bit like this:

for the past week. So much so, that I've been considering buying one of these babies:

and I'd finally gotten an appointment with a heating and air conditioning repairman. Of course, I'd set a 2:30 appointment. I wasn't going to be able to meet David at my apartment until 2:45 at the earliest, but I thought, "These guys are never on time. I'll be fine." But NOOOOOOOO! for the first time in the history of repairmen, the guy was on time and because of another job across town could not wait one minute past 2:45. I didn't get home until 2:50, but the guy was nice and stayed.
He was also cute and friendly. I thought that just maybe my day was looking up. He looked at my heater and said, "You're not going to like me very much. I can't fix this. You see, the heat in your apartment is created by hot water that flows through this pipe and then the air blows over it and is heated. You need to call a plumber."
.gif)
A plumber to fix my heater? Oh silly me, why didn't I think of that? By the way, my heater uses a water pipe to create heat? Whatthe?!?
But, I couldn't think about it right then. I had to go and get my tire fixed. I called Discount Tires and they told me to come right in and they'd have me in and out in about 45 minutes. Good enough.
I went and after spending $250 that I don't have I sat for 2 hours. 2 HOURS spent watching everyone who came in after me leave before me. After the first hour my car hadn't even been touched and I went up to the guy who checked me in and said, "You told me 45 minutes. It's been an hour and three people who came in after me have left already. My car hasn't been touched."
The kid looked at me, clearly bored and said, "I'm sorry." He was sincere. I'm just sure of it.
After that, I'd lost my will to live. So, I'm sitting here in my cold apartment, attempting to will V.M.M. into existence. I'll let you know how it goes.
9 comments:
Maury, this post is so sad! Is everyone else in your apt complex freezing too? Come on up to Mom & Dad's, their house is warm! & I didn't put the ribbon on Mom's tree like she wanted me to, so she really needs you. Bring Helen too - she'd love TQ.
I'm sorry maury. A bad kickoff kind of messes with the whole vacation doesn't it? hope your plumber is cute and now you're going to laugh at me....
I'm currently in the process of trying to make snuggy's for Samantha and Jacob. Samantha is every bit the informercial suckah her dad is. She has come to me very earnestly telling me all the redeeming qualities of the aqua globe and very lately the snuggy. Fleece was on sale last weekend and I found a free pattern online under the titel "slanket" I started cutting last night. I 'll let you know how it goes.
I have a tendency to look for meaning in the "word verification letters' I have to type. (along the lines of Matthew's buttheane)
I just had to type "aiticaf" which I translated to "ate a calf" and am now wondering if there's veal in my future..... Mark wants prime rib for Christmas dinner... hmmmmm
oops... I hate typos. That was buttheadne for Matthew.
by the way if you are reading Matthew,
have you found occasion to use it yet?
Sorry about your lousy beginning to a potentially wonderful two weeks!
I love that you put a picture of a snuggy on here- my kids are also infomercial suckers and that blanket/robe thing is the talk of the breakfast table.
No use for Buttheadne yet, but that's only because I don't have to drive on the freeway very often.
But today I have a new word from the "word verification" box:
reworium = a place in which a person continues to stress over issues that have been resolved.
Hey Maury,
I just made 2 snuggy's tonight in a little less than 2 hrs. If you still have heater trouble I'll make you one at mom's house! I'm all over it! she has a sewing machine and we'll go pick out some fleece!
word verification: "parnia"
A magical land where everyone golfs a perfect game?
Molly: google "slanket" and you too can make your kids informercial dreams come true with 2 hours and a little fleece. It calls for 3 yards but I only got 2 1/2 which is HUGE for a kid.
I believe a slanket/snuggly is the answer!! You can redeem this vacation yet!
Sorry to hear you had such a rough start on the vacation. I hope you get the heater situation worked out.
I feel your pain. I had a similar weekend last week. Car problems, I broke our treadmill while on it, and obliterated the kids armoire trying to rearrange their bedroom.
I seem to reside in reworiam every night when I try (try being the opperative word) to go to sleep. I hope you have a nicer vacation and I am glad I get to see you really soon.
My word was ressnes, I can't think of a clever definition, I have not had enough sleep...
Post a Comment