Thursday, December 11, 2008

And you said Buffy the Vampire Slayer was unrealistic.



On Buffy the Vampire Slayer (AKA: How vampires SHOULD be portrayed in media) Season 5, Spike, in a fit of obsessive love for Buffy, forced a desperate nerd to create a robotic Buffy who would love him back. At the time it was a hilarious but unrealistic commentary on unrequited love. I enjoyed the storyline immensely.

Flash forward a few years: A Japanese man living in Canada has created what he refers to as "the perfect woman". She's a robot.




Yeah. Who knew Joss Whedon was so prophetic?

So much about this bothers me, but I'll share a few quotes from the article and comment on them.

"SHE is the perfect wife, with the body of a Page 3 pin-up and housekeeping skills that put TV’s Kim and Aggie to shame.
Her name is Aiko, she can even read a map, and will never, ever, nag."


In other words, I should put "excellent navigational skills" and "handy with a vacuum" on my LDSSingles.com profile, but might not want to mention that I have ideas of my own.

"Devoted Aiko — “in her 20s” — has a stunning 32-23-33 figure, pretty face and shiny hair."

Oh dear. I'm definitely past my sell by date.

"She is always happy to clean the house for “husband” Le, help with his accounts or get him a drink."

Note to self: enroll in Geisha courses.

And for the "You, sir, are a freak of nature!" file:

"The couple often go for a drive in the countryside, where Aiko proves a whizz at directions.
And they always sit down for dinner together in the evening, although Aiko doesn’t have much of an appetite."


Ok, this one is for the inventor directly. "You are aware, sir, that you are taking a ROBOT for a drive, right? She's NOT real. On the bright side, you're saving money on food and she'll never get chunky on you."


"Le says his relationship with Aiko hasn’t strayed into the bedroom, but a few “tweaks” could turn her into a sexual partner."

Ewwwwwww! Just Ewwwwww!

I am not touching that one. In fact, I wish I had a time machine so that I could go back in time and NOT read that part of the article.

There is some hope for Aiko, though. She's not a complete moron:

"Le said: “Women usually try to talk to her. But men always want to touch her, and if they do it the wrong way she slaps them.”

Maybe those pervs should look into this:



(FYI:This clip is the reason I have a crush on Sam Waterson to this day. Law and Order? Whatever.)

2 comments:

Mycket said...

I just realized that I am putting this on the wrong post, but I am to lazy to close this and reopen another. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how excited I am for you about your graduation. Good luck on Tuesday! So proud of you!

user said...

I love that skit!! It's been forever since i've seen it, too.

"in her twenties"...yeah, right. She looks about 13, which seriously adds to the creep factor.

How much you bet he's tweaking his robot right now? ewwwwwwww!!!!!

On a happier note, I like the song "Somebody bring me a flower (I'm a robot)" by the Gourds:
"I'm all metal and plastic, wires and elastic. Somebody bring me a flower, I'm a robot!"