Saturday, December 13, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a Celluloid Christmas...

My friend Melissa recently posted the four movies she HAS to watch each year during Christmas and New Years. It got me thinking and I decided to do the same thing.

So, here goes:

#1



I know it's not a Christmas movie. They don't ever decorate a tree or give gifts, but there's something about this movie that touches my soul this time of year. I love the songs; I love Salzburg, Austria; I love the costumes; and most of all, I love Julie Andrews. The opening vision of Andrews in the Alps singing "The hills are alive with the sound of music" gives me chills just thinking about it, but it's the song "My Favorite Things" that I love most of all.



Maybe it's because Christmas break is the only time I have to watch a film this long, but I watch it every year about this time. And sing. Out loud. Alone. In my apartment.

#2



I just watched the remake (starring Dylan McDermott, hubba hubba) with my brother and sister-in-law and it's cute, but there's nothing like the original. They've colorized this one, but I'd recommend seeing it as intended in black and white. Although it was made in 1947 this one feels remarkable current to me. Maureen O'Hara is fantastic, the clothes are beautiful, and Natalie Wood: puleeeeeease. No other child has been that adorable or that smart on film, ever.



If you haven't seen this one, trust me, you're missing out.


#3



If you don't like old school musicals with big production numbers and improbable plots then this one's not for you. But, if you're still willing to give it a chance, I have two words for you: Rosemary Clooney.




This is billed as a Bing Crosby film, but to me, the star is and always will be Ms. Clooney. Added to that is the fact that she's singing Irving Berlin's music and BAM! You've got yourself a big time movie.

Hearing Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby singing "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" or watching the four main characters dressed in full Santa gear singing "White Christmas"? FUGGETABOUTIT. There are some low points (The number "Choreography" is one) , and you have to watch Danny Kaye (who I kind of see as that generation's Jim Carrey) pull a lot of silly faces, but the high points, to me, make this a yearly must see.

#4




There's a Will Ferrell movie on my must watch list. I can hardly believe it myself. But I love this movie, and it's proof that he's capable of being simultaneously sweet and hilarious, and I have watched it every Christmas since it was released. How can you not love a movie with lines like these:

"First we'll make snow angels for two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse cookie dough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle."

or

"I'm sorry I ruined your lives, and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR."

I don't think it's possible.
Buddy the Elf, "I love you. I love you! I LOOOOOOOVE YOU!"
And I agree, "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." (see #1 on my list)



There's my list. What movies do you watch every year? Any suggestions for me?

8 comments:

Melissa said...

oooooooooh, good list, Maurs!

I love two on your list, too: the original Miracle on 34th Street and Elf. I own both and probably watch both of them every year, too, but somehow they didn't make my list!

I have never seen White Christmas. It's going in the Netflix que!

Thanks for your list, Maurs! I love it!

Emily said...

My girls have never seen Sound of Music! That must be remedied this month!

I love the other movies on your list too. I would put How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the old cartoon one, NOT the Jim Carrey one) on my list as well as at least one of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Matthew said...

Elf.

Thanks for reminding me.

Jillian said...

Plus there is a midget in Elf. So there's that.

Annukka said...

We love Elf too!

Another one that we've already watched over and over and over again is Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas. I know it's a kid movie but I just love watching it... and so do my kiddos...

Autumn said...

Elf would be #1 on my list (if I wasn't so lazy and made one that is). Others that I love: The Santa Clause and Home Alone. Classics for sure!

Malissa said...

We watched Home Alone a few weeks ago. Now my children say things like, "I wish I didn't have a family." So, although I think it's a great show and it should be on a must watch list, we won't be seeing it again for a few years.

I agree that The Sound of Music is a great show anytime of the year. We are going to watch A Christmas Carol and the San Fransisco Nutcracker.

pablo said...

Maury,

You have to have A Christmas Story on your list...

It is over played on TBS & TNT but if you can avoid the overkill it is a must watch...

On the cartoon front you have to watch Yogi's First Christmas...

Paul