Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Fun Facts!™ #2

1. Fenrir is a wolf from Norse mythology who was so vicious that the gods tied him up with an unbreakable rope and imprisoned him in the otherworld. At the end of days he was said to break free and fight against the gods on the side of chaos.

Fenrir Greyback is a werewolf in the Harry Potter books who fights on the side of Voldemort.



Cool, eh? I love this woman. I tell you what.

2. Ty Cobb may have been the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936 when the Baseball Hall of Fame opened, he recieved more votes than any other player.



Cobb is widely credited with setting 90 Major League Baseball records during his career.He still holds several records as of 2008, including the highest career batting average (.367) and most career batting titles with 12 (or 11, depending on source). He retained many other records for almost a half century or more, including most career hits until 1985 (4,191 or 4,189, depending on source), most career runs (2,245 or 2,246 depending on source) until 2001, most career games played (3,035) and at bats (11,429 or 11,434 depending on source) until 1974, and the modern record for most career stolen bases (892) until 1977. (Source: Wikipedia)

He was known for sliding with his feet high in the air so that he could spear opposing players. He called it "showing steel" and there is a legend that may or may not be true that he actually sharpened his steel cleats so that a player would think more than twice about attempting to tag him out.

From what I've read and seen, I can easily tell you that Ty Cobb was a disgusting human being: racist, elitist, sexist, abusive, and violent, but you have to admire the stats.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

1. Holy crap! That is a fun fact! Awesome.

2. And I'm assuming those stats were obtained without 'roids. Good thing, too, considering the disgusting, violent tendencies. blech.

Maursupial said...

Yeah, I think that Cobb would've benefitted from some form of medical intervention, but certainly not 'roids.

Anonymous said...

Cobb was a complex and misunderstood man. Not many know of his charities,
his Cobb Educaational Fund or his Cobb hospital and Healthcare system.

Norm Coleman

Malissa said...

thanks for your 'fun fact' posts. i look forward to reading more of them:)

Anonymous said...

well.. now I'm interested in finding out more about Ty Cobb...
I like the cover of the potter book JK"s holding. It's different than any I've seen and it looks pretty cool.
Do you know what I really hate?
when there's been a classic book around forever and then they make a movie out of it and you can only find the book with the movie clips as a cover and not the original artwork..
AND... I really quite enjoy the fun facts posts.