If you're turned off 'cause it's just a show about football, try it anyway. Yes. It is about high school football, but it's also about life. One of the most surprising things to me was that even though this is a "sports" show, the female characters are as important and interesting (and I might argue, at times more interesting and important) as the male ones. Also, even though the show is based around a high school team, the adult characters are as important and complex as the teenagers. Finally, it's the first show that I've ever seen get high school right. As a high school teacher I have a hard time with most depictions of it on tv. This show is pretty close to dead on. As I watch, I find myself rooting not only for the team to win, but also for the characters themselves.
Oh, and I watched seasons one and two in a two week period (hey, I'm done with UNLV and don't go back to work until next month. THIS IS WHAT I DO DURING THE SUMMERS. I'VE GOT TIME ON MY HANDS! I LIVE ALONE! DON'T JUDGE ME!) and now I'm walking around with an inner voice with a west Texas accent and a HUGE crush on Kyle Chandler, 'cause I mean. . .

Oh please. You have a crush on him now too, don't you? Just from LOOKING at his picture? Don't try to deny it, and don't EVEN get me started on his accent. Really. Don't. 'Cuz then I might gush or something, and I NEVER do that (nudge nudge wink wink).
And then to top it off there's Timmy Riggins:

or darling Matty Saracen:

or Brian "Smash" Williams:

I mean, COME ON!! This show has it all, sports, real life issues, incredible writing, powerful female characters, a sense of humor, and CUTE BOYS!! There is quite simply, something for everyone.
Added to all of that, you get inspirational speeches from Coach Taylor:
Doesn't that just make you want to go out and reach your potential? It certainly does me. . . right after I finish laying in bed and rewatching season 2.
***I'll be posting actual facts about my actual life soon. I promise. But tonight I just needed to give a little time to Coach. That is all.
3 comments:
oooooo, Coach is fancy! (that's the Kyle Chandler guy, right?)
Maurs, I can't keep up!!! Vicar of Dibley...Friday Night Lights...I love it, though. Keep the recommendations coming. Right now Danny and I are watching the x-files from the beginning! As I watch Scully and Moulder, I can only think of Christy. :)
But, when it comes to high school shows, I must admit I'm a HUGE Degrassi fan. I've been watching since those crazy Canadian kids were in jr. high and now some of them are in college, sniff, sniff.
Yeah, Kyle Chandler is the coach, and yes, he is FANCY.
I was visiting Maury and she gave me a great synopsis and showed me a couple of exits and I think I'll be ordering that soon from netflix. It really was enjoyable and I gotta know what happens next....
Post a Comment