I considered giving up completely after the rubbery mass I produced the first time, but my mama didn't raise no quitter.
Soooooooo, although I live alone and knew I'd probably end up eating enough banana cream pie to make me puke and increase the size of my hiney, I persevered. I'm not one to back down from a challenge... especially one in pie form (mmmm pie).
The custard for this pie is made from brown sugar rather than white, and includes both cinnamon and nutmeg, so it's not the traditional vanilla custard used in banana cream pies. Intriguing, no? This time I knew a little better what I was doing, ignored some of the more confusing directions while making the custard and ended up with this:

instead of the rubbery industrial sludge I got last time.
Then, after waiting for the custard to set, I layered custard and bananas and custard and bananas and then made the topping from whipped cream, vanilla, and sour cream. It was so pretty when I finished:

Here's a cross section:

mmmmmmmmmm. And, it tastes better than it looks. Really. And if you don't believe me, ask these two people:


(actual yummy faces.)
If you'd like to have one of these lovelies for your very own you can find the recipe here. (Just don't cook the custard as long as they tell you to. When it get's to pudding texture STOP cooking people!!)
11 comments:
I was sporting a yummy face as I read this post!
YUM!!!!!!!!! This looks so freakin' good!
I don't even like banana cream pie, but this looked yummy!!! Way to perservere (spelling?)!!! I am impressed.
That almost makes me wish I lived in Vegas. You're not too tired of banana cream to have another one this weekend are you? Cuz I want to try that recipe!
I could suffer through another one of these.
Does it require an oven, 'cause mine isn't working.
you only need an oven for the crust.
Congrats, it looks good. Pie always makes me nervous to cook. you did a great job.
cute picture of Jena
you too dave..
The pie don't look bad either.
Good job making a 2nd successful attempt.
I am moving to Vegas...That looks so good! Would you believe that yesterday Caleb asked me how to make a banana cream pie? I had no idea-uh, bananas and uh, pudding? Thank goodness for you! I'm going to try that one.
I don't mind eating pie from Marie Callendar's home....or yours. I can go either way. I'm adaptable like that. You don't get this rockin body turning down pie.
Yum! My mouth is watering! Do you next-day air them?
Post a Comment