Monday, May 11, 2009

Things You Should Check Out, Volume 4



This beautiful little jewel of a film came out my freshman year in college (1992) but for some unfathomable reason, wasn't released on dvd in the U.S. until last week. I have personally been waiting for this film since I converted my movie collection to dvd a few years ago.

If you don't know what this movie's about, I can sum it up with one word: Love. Love of self, love of others, love of those who are difficult to love, love of nature, love of strangers.

It's the story of four British women who, for individual reasons decide to share a vacation at an Italian castle for the month of April. At first they struggle with themselves and each other, but because one is willing to love unconditionally the castle becomes a home, a "bucket of love". These women are transformed because they step outside themselves and choose to be different than they've always been.

My favorite moment is when Lottie (played by the magical Josie Lawrence) makes the realization that the problems in her marriage were not solely the responsibility of her cold and distant husband. She decides that instead of loving him in the manner he has loved her (not very well), she will love him with her whole heart. What a powerful message.

I also love that these women were miserable and instead of wallowing in it, chose to step outside of their comfort zone and make a difference in their lives. It makes me want to do the same (and a month in an Italian castle wouldn't hurt, you know?)

Finally, it's beautiful. A feast for the eyes.

Of course, this is a woman's movie (I refuse to call it a chick flick. It's too special for that), a period piece, and British. If those things aren't your cup o' tea, I understand, but I'd hate for you to miss it.

3 comments:

Melodie said...

Maury, I love this movie too! I have watched it in recent years (must have checked out the VHS from the library), and wasn't aware that it wasn't on DVD yet. Thanks for the heads up! I love your reviews on things! It is because of you that I am a huge fan of "Pushing Daisies" now. Since I live under a rock, and know nothing about what is happening outside of my own little world, I never would have even known about it. Thanks!

Christy said...

Sorry even with your beautiful discription, I can't get on board with this one. I'll Check something out volume 5 maybe!

Melissa said...

Oooooh, I love this movie! I will soon be adding it to my collection, too. I think I finally gave up the VHS version a few years ago because I didn't have a VCR!