Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tonight I Wanna Cry...




Yeah, it's a maudlin country song, but it's how I'm feeling. I'm one week away from 35 and I'm not being strong and philosophical about the fleeting nature of youth.

I'm sad.

I feel alone and lonely.

I have no party plans or any idea how I want to spend my birthday. Scratch that. I know how I want to spend it, but money and busy schedules simply won't allow for flying in my favorite women from across the country for a weekend of facials, massage, laughing, talking, and eating.

So, right now I'm just going to sit in my apartment and have a little pity party.

Tears today, philosophy tomorrow.

19 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Does it help to know that your mom loves you? It (your feeling like you wanna cry) will proilly (wrd verification)pass. Get out and do something for someone else! I know it sounds trite, but it works. You were pretty sick when you left here yesterday afternoon; hope today is better. Mom

Maursupial said...

It does, Mom, it really does.

Melissa said...

I love you, too, Maurs! I wish I had the cash to fly out to Vegas and party it up with you! My aging, decrepted feet could so use a pedicure right now.

The other day (as I was not dealing well with the impending 35 benchmark) I remembered how old we used to feel at BYU and had the brief moment of insight that it's all relative. 35 really isn't so old. It feels old right now, but it's not. Remind us of this moment when we'e 80 and we'll laugh at how "old" we felt at 35. Hahhahahahahahaha! ha. ha ... ha?

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. Hope this wasn't too trite. We are blessed with incredible families and friends. At least we don't have to go through it alone.

I love you!

Maursupial said...

Thanks Meliss!

I'm feeling a bit better about it today. Thanks for the perspective, and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way about turning 35. Do you remember how sad Molls was about turning 20? "But we won't be teenagers anymore!" I remember thinking, "THANK GOODNESS!!" But 35? yuck. I can't think about this any more.

Christy said...

I commented yesterday, but the nazi word verification would not cooperate with me.....Sorry. Do you need to get Disneyitis a little early? I'm up for it!!!! I need a week on a beach or somthing like that.
Word Verificatio: Thicke-how my brain feels after 19 days of no break from work!

Jennifer said...

I hear you.... the big 4-0 is looming like the spector of death over my shoulder.

molly said...

Ok girls, you can totally do this. 35 is not too bad, actually. It's kind of like jumping into a swimming pool knowing the water is cold but if you keep moving you'll get used to it and then after awhile it feels pretty good. Sometimes when I start to panic about our age I picture all of us holding hands and jumping in together. TOWANDA!!!

Melissa said...

Love the image, Molly!

We might be 35, but we all have insurance!

TOWANDA!!!!

Maursupial said...

Ok. THIS is why I wish I had the money to fly you ladies out to Vegas to spend my weekend with me!! I need friends around me to help me jump into that pool. I'm working on my inner TOWANDA. She's not at full strength yet.

Anonymous said...

Maury!!!

I have only met you once at Melissa's wedding...and since then I have read your blog daily (a little stalker like really). You are one of the most wonderful people I have ever met!

You are an amazing writer, friend to Melissa (and that makes you AWESOME in my book), teacher and woman.
Like Melissa said it is all relative...today I joined Weight Watchers for the millionth time and there was some skinny 23 year old there on WEIGHT WATCHERS. And it was her second week and she had lost 2 pounds...WHICH MEANS SHE WAS NOT EVEN CHUBBY TO START WITH. And she was nice. So I couldn't hate her. She has so many more years to lose weight than me...or not lose weight or whatever but anyway you get the point...there is always someone younger out there....thirty five is really a gift...because you are the coolest 35 year old I know!! And if those ladies ever come to Vegas...please invite me..I LOVE VEGAS!!!

Maursupial said...

Heather,

consider yourself a stalker no more! Thank you so much for your warm fuzzies, and might I say that the feeling is mutual. You are welcome to come to visit Vegas and stay with me any time. Of course, Mormon Vegas is a bit tamer than what you're used too, I'm sure! :)

Melodie said...

Oh, Maury! I miss you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday, and wish that I could celebrate with you. It's like Molly said -- not so bad once you jump in and get used to it. I was in the middle of a really stressful move when I hit the big 3-5, so I don't think I've delt with it yet, myself!

Last night, as a reward for good behavior, Lydia and I had "Boogie Time." We danced and danced to ABBA, and I couldn't help thinking of all of the fun we had doing the exact same thing at BYU. I even taught her some of our moves from "Dancing Queen." What fun times we've had, and continue to have.

I'll be thinking of you on your birthday! Love you!

Jillian said...

These people are a bunch of liars. Even though I love you....you're right 35 is totally going to suck.


I kid, I kid! But really, you could be 35 with a fat ugly husband. That would suck way worse than being 35 and being able to come and go as you please and NOT having to share a bathroom with a stinky man. Right? RIGHT?

Christy said...

Let me count the ways I love Jill-no to many to count. Hilarious! Embrace your inner middle aged spinster with me!

Da Browns said...

You're totally awesome, you're like a fine wine, getting better with age..or getting bitter with age, whateves right? HF is just polishing you up for Mr. Wonderful... wait no, other way around, he's getting Mr. Wonderful ready for you, cuz he's just not ready to be blown away by such and awesomely perfect woman as yourself... Look on the bright side, you still have like 60 or so good years left in you to find the dude. Patience is a virtue or some such crap like that...don't ask me, I've got none!

Jamie said...

There is nothing left to say except you have awesome comments on this post from awesome friends and family. You are wonderful. So many people love you . That is something to celebrate. I wish we (those of us who love/appreciate you most) could all be there and I know that's the worst part for you, that you can't have all your favorite people there to celebrate with you and make it easier to swallow.

Mom and Dad said...

well, may I interject? Of course I can...I'm your mom. Let's get this in perspective...How about the thoughts of turning 66...YUP!!! the big 66. All I need is another 6 to let you know how t hat feels!
word ver: inglec...Did I inglec to tell you that life is beautiful! Look at the mountains and breathe it all in! Mom

Freddy said...

Happy Birthday my friend. BTW 35 is the biggest birthday of the all, you can finally run for President of the USA. I know you totally want to do that :) BTW, I would so totally vote for you. Enjoy the day, you deserve it.

Malissa said...

35 is a wonderful age! We've made it through the ackward teen years and our twenties. We've got more of life figured out and we've had some great life experiences so far. Now we continue doing what we love for the years to come! Congrats to you and welcome to the club!

BTW we crossed the Maury River last week when we were moving. I had to give you a little shout out!