1. Were awoken on Friday night/Saturday morning by three police officers who, while pointing sniper rifles at your neighbor's window, tell you to get your shoes and coat and evacuate your apartment as soon as possible.
2. Were directed to run along your fence line and leave your complex through a side gate with several of your neighbors.
3. Got to sit in the 7-11 parking lot in your jammies at 2:30 am while it rained on you
4. Attempted to take a nap while sitting in a video poker machine at 3 am.
5. Sat on an empty city bus with your neighbors while the SWAT team had your neighbor's apartment surrounded.
6. Finally got to sleep at 6 am only to be woken two hours later by a puppy with a full bladder.
7. No longer feel completely safe in your home.
Anyone?
Anyone?
Hmmmm.
So, JUST ME then.
On Friday it seems that my neighbor (who has always scared me a little because of his scary tattoos and bumper stickers and who I have been trying to not judge on appearance alone) lost his mind on Friday night (with the help of liberal doses of drugs and alcohol) and holed up in his apartment with a gun (now I don't feel so bad about judging him on appearance. Ha! I love being justified in my prejudices.). I guess his downstairs neighbor called the police because he was shouting and, from the noises coming from his apartment, seemed to be attempting to break through every wall in his apartment. The police attempted to get him to come out and when he wouldn't, evacuated those of us within shooting range. I still don't have a lot of information, as the police weren't, for obvious reasons, very forthcoming. I don't know if his two very young children were with him or if anyone was hurt.
I don't know what the outcome was.
I do know that I was scared.
I do know that they wouldn't let me take Austen with me and I had a mini-freak out about it.
I do know that I spent Saturday in a fog brought on by a combination of sleep deprivation and shock.
I do know that I appreciate these guys:

Add Glitter to your Photos
more than I ever have.
I do know that I've never been happier to see these guys:

Make custom Glitter Graphics
coming down the road and knowing that they were taking care of things.
I've got to say that although I was never in any real danger, this experience has made me really think about how fragile life really is. It made me think about what I do and do not want to spend my time on earth doing, and what I don't want to put off any longer.
Don't worry. I'm going to stop philosophizing here. But let me just finish by saying, I am certainly glad to be alive today.
(Thanks David, Jillian, and Christy for not being upset when I texted you at 2:30 in the morning to tell you that I was scared and sitting in the 7-11 parking lot. I am especially grateful that David was sick to his stomach and couldn't sleep so that he was awake and talked to me for about 40 minutes of the 3 hours I sat in the 7-11 parking lot. You helped keep hysteria at bay and see the humor in the situation)
15 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Wow, glad to hear you are okay. That is freaking scary I probably would have had a heart attack and that would have gotten me out of the situation. Don't feel bad about judging people, it does not matter what race, ethnicity, age or etc, if someone looks scary they just look scary. Keep safe out there!!!
True confession-I have had dreams of a smoking hot police man waking me from my sleep.....but this is totally different from how my dream goes.
And by the way, I'm totally glad you are alive.
Wow, that's intense. I'm glad you're alive, too. I hardly know what to say. Ugh.
Why wouldn't they let you take Austen? That is definitely cause for more than a mini-freak out.
So, so glad you're okay.
Oh wait, this is from Melissa, not Danny. He just happens to be logged on right now.
That's sooooo random!! So glad you're okay!!!
I definitely think your missionary experiences in NYC have given you the RIGHT to judge people based on appearance, and also on that gut feeling. Never deny those "guts." There certainly was plenty of opportunity to hone those skills in the mission field!
Sorry about the sleep deprivation. Hopefully you were able to make it up before going back to work today:)
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it, and although I saw my neighbor come home today, I still feel ok. Loud noises outside my apartment still freak me out, but it'll get easier, I'm sure.
So scary, why didn't David come and pick you up???? Was he not allowed to? I am so glad you are fine. I love you. I am glad you didn't text me, because I would still have a stomach ache.
Jennifer,
David was in Orange County visiting Jena's mom for her birthday. So, don't be hatin'. He did everything he could.
Uhhh...Wow! Now THAT is an adventure you will remember for quite sometime! :) I'm miffed that they wouldn't let you take Austen, though. Are they not dog people? That's just wrong.
This little experience reminds me of when I moved to Ogden, It was my first apartment, first job, first day off and I was talkin on the phone to someone...(Jamie????) and all of the sudden, it was like "COPS" outside my apartment window, they tackled my nice neighbor (not scarey at all) and searched the grass for the weed he apparently had. Then they searched his apartment and towed his cars. FUN! I felt the same bit of scarey real world. I was not awakened or evacuated, so it was just a craxy real world experience for me. Maury the real world hurts, so sorry you had to go through that and I really think they should of allowed Austen to evacuate with you. He's your family!
Holy crap. Wow.
To Christy:
I was on the phone with you while the cops were arresting your neighbor in Ogden... and I lived with you later on when the cops came to get your crazy downstairs tenant (remember the one who offered to hot-wire Emily's car for her when it wouldn't start?). They came and got him after they were fighting downstairs (actually it was after she tried to leave the house in their van and he jumped onto the windshield and screamed and banged on the windshield/rooftop while she drove down the street swerving to shake him off.) That was right before you started getting interested in acquiring a conceal-and-carry. I never put together the connection until now.
Sorry, Maury, for the crappy night of sleep-- or rather no sleep. I hope the guy gets some help. He hasn't been back home yet, has he? Luckily it wasn't a school night, right?
Now, what did Austin chew while you were gone for those hours?
Word Verification: exusterg. The feeling you get from hangin' out at the Gas N' Sip all night on Friday.
Oh My! Poor You! It scares me just thinking about it. Next time (!?@#$ better not be..but just in case) CALL me! You can bring Austen (Tomas would hide under a bed, so he'd survive) and you both can stay in one of our spare rooms. Sitting at a video poker machine, or on a bus is NO way to spend the night!
And after such a fun time on Friday evening too. Hey, what's the name of the frozen yogurt place? I'm dying to try it!
Remember, Maury, if David is out of town, I'm the next-best-to-family! We love you!
This brings back memories of Pirates Cove.... Three A.M., SWAT, new crews, family being held hostage... Great missionary memories. Gotta love that apartment complex for the good stories it creates.
Stay safe!
look what I miss when my computer is down and I have to steal rare minutes on Mark's laptop.
I can't believe you had to go through that. so scary. Mom told us a little about it when they stopped by sunday but reading it in your own words is more intense. yikes! I love you so much!!!! just wanted to say that
and Jillian.... wow. I totally think I know how that dream goes. Mine are always about being woke up by a smokin' hot carpet cleaner... strange... wonder why that is????
Post a Comment