Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock n roll

I was born in the mid 1970's and it wasn't until I was in the 5th grade that I found out that music other than country had been created between the years of 1974 and 1980.

My parents really love music and nearly every memory I have associated with childhood is accompanied by country music. Family vacations? Ray Stevens' "The Streak", or the Statler Brothers' "Flowers on the wall". Home? Anne Murray's greatest hits, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", "Rhinestone Cowboy", and "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys". The first album I ever owned? Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits (along with Billy Joel's Uptown Girl, but we won't talk about that.).

As I got older and entered elementary school I of course found out there were other kinds of music, but it took me a while to discover that not everyone grew up listening to Waylon and Willie, Dolly, Johnny Cash, and the Statler Brothers. There are people in the world who've never heard of Ray Stevens, let alone know all the words to "Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye!". I found out that other music was written, produced, and performed during the last six years of the 1970's. My father scoffed when I brought this up, telling me, "The only thing worth listening to from the 1970's is country music."

I disagreed. I found that I LOVE disco (sorry everyone, but I do.); Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" is one of my reasons for living. I discovered James Taylor and Carly Simon, Credence Clearwater Revival, and The Clash. I discovered Generation X and Queen, Bowie and the Eagles. I discovered that I loved early Elton John and everything from ABBA. It was a shock to the system, I realized that I could have opinions separate from my father's. As an act of rebellion I declared that I HATED country music.

For a few years I was a music snob. If it was top 40 I wouldn't listen to it (until Nirvana came along and made radio better for a while. I still miss you Kurt Cobain). I loved Depeche Mode with a complete and utter devotion, along with REM (when Michael Stipe had long curly hair and they were played on college radio exclusively), U2 and the like. I loved KROQ, a pretty famous alternative radio station in Southern California, and the moment when you could finally tune it in on our way to LA.

I made fun of Willie Nelson and told my father that everything about country sucked. He calmly replied, "It's ok, you'll come back." I assured him I would not. He also told me, "Some day, the music that you love now will be country." I was in the middle of my love affair with Sting and replied, "Sting will NEVER be country."

Flash forward a few years later and Sting's releasing some country songs. "It's fine! He's doing this IRONICALLY." I told myself. Flash forward a few more years and I'm just home from my mission. I turn on the radio to hear TOBY KEITH singing "I'm so Happy I Can't Stop Crying" and I know that, once again, my father is right. It would take me a few more years to admit this to him, however.

I then made some allowances for Country-like artists. I fell in love with a singer named Peter Breinholt (Peiter!) and bluegrass band called Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband while in college, but reasoned that they weren't REALLY country. I'd already fallen in love with Lyle Lovett and Chris Isaak, but could, once again, reasonably argue that they weren't, strictly speaking,country.

About 4 years ago I came back to the music of my childhood, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson first, Dolly next. I found a compilation of many of the songs I'd loved as a child. Every song enveloped me in warmth and sparked memories eliciting such strong emotions that I wondered why I'd turned my back on them for so long. Again, my father was right.

But I had a problem. Most of what is played on country stations is just NOT for me. I love Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw (other than the abominations that are "Indian Outlaw" and "Don't Take the Girl"), Josh Turner, and a few others, but I want to ram people with my car when I hear Toby Keith or Kenny Chesney. I still hate the maudlin and emotionally manipulative country ballads ("If this is Austin, I still love you" and "Alyssa Lies" are two excellent examples), and I just can't get behind those uber patriotic, chest beating anthems that are currently so popular. So, what's a girl to do? Turn to Alt country, that's what. I've been exploring this genre quite a bit and I like a lot of it. My current favorite, hands down are the Old 97's. They speak to my soul and make me want to dance in my seat as I drive to work.

Rhett Miller



the lead singer and resident dream boat of the band is my new unattainable love interest. I mean, how can I resist a man who sings lyrics like, "I believe in love, but it don't believe in me"; or wrote the most truly romantic, yet uncheesy love song I've ever heard "Question"; or makes me laugh out loud because of lines like "Do you wanna mess around? I mean deep down in your bones"; or melt because he's singing about a girl like me with "Big Brown Eyes". Yeah. Old 97's. They're GOOOOOOOOOOD.



And, like me, a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll.

Here's the song they wrote about me, 'cause I'm pretty:

14 comments:

Jenafer Lowe said...

I once told my Dad that I hated all country music. Now I love it. I now know that he is looking at me chuckling at the fact that I now love it. I just wish that we would have been able to dance and sing along to a few Country songs before he left this earth. I hope he knows how sorry I am that I told him that country sucks as I listened and knew every word to Snoop Dogg. I blame it on being a teenager. Oh well, live and learn.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jena, you know he's mormon right????? !!!!!!!
;)
loved the post muar'. my favorite (not) country lyrics of all time....
"pass me another tequila sheila...
lie down and love me again..."

came home from college to find my brothers and dad singing that one summer. Thought I'd never be the same again. THAT is not my kind of country.
Give me a little RAscall Flatts, a lotta Keith urban (mark calls him my boyfriend...) a little carrie, some tim and Faith, throw in some martina and mix it w/a little Kenny and even now and again I like me some Toby Keith... Sorry Maury, I know you hate him with a passion but we kinda like him. Now i have mixed feelings about Brad. He has a good sense of humor but "check you for ticks" is the tackiest song this side of Tequila sheila I've heard in a LOOOOng time!
love ya

Emily said...

All I knew of country up until I met my husband was Toby and Shania. So, like you, I hated it. (I do like old Toby - I Shoulda Been a Cowboy) Then I was introduced to Willie, Lyle, Johnny and Kenny. Good stuff. Jamie - I have a weakness for Rascal Flatts too.

Maursupial said...

Yeah, sorry, but Rascal Flatts is on my "Ram people with my car" list.

user said...

You really need to get xm radio for Cross-County ("X-Country"). It plays all the stuff you (and I) love, including the Old 97s. My new fave is Paul Thorn (I'm already constructing a post about him). You must check him out. You'll love him, too.

Matthew said...

Oh, memories!

Maursupial,
I still tell people that I hate Country, but I don’t…really. I love it.( Willie Nelson, Cowboy Junkies, Johnny Cash, Lyle Lovett, Dolly Pardon…) No, I hate it. (Faith, Toby, and Shania, that girl who sings “Jesus take the Wheel”, Rascal Flats--Sorry, James--and the rest of the Nashville Pops). There is a lot of good out there—Brad Paisley can play the gee-tar, Keith Urban is uber-talented, and alt-country is still around. (Check out Sera Cahoon’s “Couch Song” on Itunes.) I’m so conflicted. Country, I love you. I hate you.

James, that song “(Pour me Another) Tequila, Sheila” was written by Shel Silverstein. He has got to be the best songwriter ever.

Chorus:
Pour me another tequila, Sheila.
Take off that red satin dress.
'Cause I crossed the border,
And I beat the dealer for all of that gold in Juarez.
I feel like ol' Pancho Villa, Sheila,
And I've got the pesos to spend,
So pour me another tequila, Sheila.
And lay down and love me again.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue, I thought that I could write a little, but WOW! Your last couple of blogs have been fantastic. You should be published. I'll never write again.

I do have a comment or two.

The divorce or temporary separation from O was overdue.

And I concede that the Shupe guy and those Rubber-bands can sing! Sting has improved a lot the last little bit here also. I also hate all those sappy, sicky, sweet Country Songs that you mentioned as much as you. But what the heck is wrong with Indian Outlaw? Man that is one sweet tune! And one sweet song that I love is King George's "I Met God Today". And on an entirely different note, How could you have excluded mention of John Anderson's "Swangan"? Also I never ever told you that you weren't allowed to differ in opinion from me. I just assumed that it was a given. In conclusion I have just two words-- JOHNNY CASH!!!!!!!!

DAD

user said...

This post also reminded me of a song by Shinyribs (same singer as the Gourds--I love both bands and again think you would, too!). The song is called "Country DJ" and it captures your exact sentiments--that the music played today on country radio is a pale imitation of the real thing.

"You've forgotten Hank Williams, but you remember Billy Joel. (oh no)...Country DJ, you should apologize. Country DJ, it ain't country, it ain't country you play!"

They're official website is a myspace page: www.myspace.com/shinyribs

You can hear a snippet of the song--or buy it!

Jillian said...

I echo most of the feelings expressed by the others, but I have one thing to add. I love me some George Strait.

What a nice compliment from your Pop! I concur, you are quite an escritor.

Maursupial said...

Meliss--that sounds great! I need to look these people up.

Jill,
I, too, love me some George Strait. I also love Garth Brooks, heaven help me. I just forgot to mention them.

user said...

Danny and I started compiling "Maury's Mix" last night. We should finish this weekend and get it in the mail next week! (Last I checked, it was 68 songs long!)

Okay, one more reason to get xm: there's a station called Strait Country. That's right, all George Strait all the time.

I can appreciate George Straight but you lose me with Garth. I just can't do it.

Maursupial said...

I know. I know. I'm not proud. Just in the interest of self disclosure I had to be honest.

Maursupial said...

Ooh! and I'm so excited about my present coming in the mail!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I grew up with a schizoid music spectrum in my house: opera and country. Seriously. We had these big-honkin' 8-track cassette players that would merrily play anything from Willie and Kenny (to say nothing of John Denver and the occasional shot of Neil Diamond) to La Bohème, La Traviata, Carmen, and (of course) Rigoletto, my parents far preferring the Italians and French to those durned Germans.

I feel your pain, because now in my senescence, I have grown to re-appreciate people like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, even Marty Robbins.

Oh, the shame.

Can I still like Sonic Youth?

--Adso of Melk