
The first time I watched it I thought, "At least we got out of math for this." the 10th or so time I thought, "This is really stupid." and by the 100th or so time I wanted to rip my eyes out and scream, "WHY? WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME WITH THIS?!?" To sum up, I hate Star Trek. In ALL it's incarnations.
In fact, I have pretty much hated the entire genre of science fiction with the exception of Star Wars, which let's face it, is required watching for anyone of my generation.
Then came Buffy.

First of all, It's not really science fiction, it's fantasy (don't EVEN get me started on fantasy). Secondly, was easily the smartest thing on TV. Because of my own prejudices, I never watched it while it was actually on. In fact, I mocked my sister for years for watching a "teeny bopper vampire show". Then she made me borrow seasons one and two. I found that it wasn't a silly vampire show at all; it was funny, clever, and deep. It made me think and laugh and nearly every episode made a commentary about our own society without being preachy or heavy handed. Oh how I loved it (still do).
And there's Spike

The sexiest comic relief of all time.
I spent an entire summer watching episode after episode, and now I own all seven seasons. Still, I thought that Buffy was just a blip on my otherwise Sci-Fi/Fantasy free life.
Then came him:

I called him The Doctor. So did every Science Fiction geek in Great Britian. "Doctor who?" You might ask. Yes. Doctor Who.
My brother came over to my apartment this week and stared in horror at the series three dvds I'd checked out from the library. Then he looked at me and said, "You're NOT watching Doctor Who are you?" Why this reaction? Because Doctor Who is the show for the geekiest Sci-Fi geeks in the English speaking world. And here I was, on series THREE!
I can understand his reaction. You see,the first Doctor Who that was on tv in Britain from 1963-1989 was famously low budget and campy.
Now
it's big budget and campy. I love it. What can I say? It's British.What originally won me over was Christopher Eccelson, AKA Doctor #9. He is both dark and silly, brooding and childlike. He wears a black leather jacket and makes me swoon a little.
Then he died saving the life of Rose (a fabulous, kick butt, smart woman who only needed to be saved 'cause she was trying to save the world herself, thankyouverymuch.), but regenerated into:

This foxy gentleman.
At first I was disappointed. But I've grown to love David Tennant as Doctor #10 in his natty three piece suit and sneakers. I love his snappy comebacks and wicked, foxy little smile.
I love Doctor Who. I've become one of THOSE geeks.
7 comments:
That picture of Capt Kirk disturbs me... way down deep.
Me too, but if I have to have the image of Kirk and the Tribbles, so do you.
That tribbles episode has haunted you for years! That's probably one of the first things I learned about you: 1) You love Sting and 2) You hate tribbles.
(Errors in first 2 replies. I wish I could just edit replies after submitting.)
Maursupial, I hate all things Star Trek; however, while-- for you-- familiarity bred contempt of the Tribbles, I grew to love them (perhaps a Pavlovian response to NOT being in Math class.) In fact, I dream of Tribbles. Regularly.
Dr Who... So the actor playing the doctor changes periodically? Strange. But the same thing happens with characters on Days of our Lives and I know you used to love that show. (I admit that I liked it for one summer as well.)
Matthew,
NOT like Days of Our Lives. We ALL know he's a different body than the time before. See, he's NOT human, he's a Time Lord, and they don't die, they regenerate like a Phoenix after the flame. Only into a different body. Quite ingenious, actually that way they never need to worry about what they'll do when the main actor wants to quit or when he sucks as the role, they can just get a new one. I love this show.
Post a Comment