President Gordon B. Hinckley died yesterday. I'm not devastated, because I know that church is in good hands. I know that he lived his life as close to the Savior as it is possible to do and he is now with his beloved wife Marjorie. I'm not heartbroken, but I am sad the way that I was when my dear sweet Grandpa Cox died. Grandpa, like President Hinckley was in his 90's and had lived a good, honorable, and long life. I knew that he was ready to go and that he was now free from pain. I was simply sad for me. I still miss Grandpa and I think that I always will.
I never personally met President Hinckley but I felt like I did. He was warm, wise, and funny. He had seemingly never ending energy, and not just for a man in his nineties, but for anyone. President Hunter died as I put in my mission papers, and my call was signed by President Hinckley. That's always made me feel like he was in fact, "MY" prophet. I know I'm not alone in this sentiment. I will miss his sparkling eyes and humor, I will miss his wise guiding counsel, but I'm so glad to know that the work progresses, and that the Lord does not leave us alone.

Until we meet again, goodbye President Hinckley.
5 comments:
I was just telling Mary that same thing. I felt like he was 'my' prophet, not like I could put him in my pocket and take him home with me, even though I would have loved that, but I felt like I knew him personally.
It's true, I am not sad for him. I am sad for me and all of the rest of the world that will surely miss him.
I bet Marjorie is kicking back-flips right about now though. Is that irreverant? I don't think so.
Carly got out her journal last night to look at her notes from the last general conference (where did she come from????? oh yeah... heaven) and noticed that the closing song of the last session of general conf. was "Sing we now at parting" we found that significant in our sadness last night. Samantha wants to die with him. She was the most broken up. I think we've convinced her to stick around for a while though. I explained how long he had lived and that she had lots to look forward too. We'll have to learn lots about Pres. Monson in our next couple o' FHE so she can quickly come to love him too.
I just cannot picture Samantha being that dramatic. You're just going to HAVE to get me a picture of that 'cause I cannot picture her that way.
As a side bar- G. Swallow had never heard the word 'snarky' until this weekend, when I described him as such. How can that be? I have no idea.
I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who don't know the word snarky. I, for one, can't do without the word.
Post a Comment