Today was our Homecoming Pep Assembly today. First of all, let me remind you fair readers, I work at a magnet school. We don't have any sports teams. We are nerds. We are quiet when the teachers ask us to be and we remain seated when asked to do so. All of this makes our school is a great place to work, but not for the greatest assemblies in the world. Today's was pretty good. We were introduced to the nominees for the Homecoming court (two of my AVID kids are nominated. Whoot!), we had some cross dressing competition (yeah, you read that correctly) and then. . . . . . . the teachers were paraded out in front to dance the Cha Cha Slide. I tried frantically to be on the back row, but everyone else had the same idea and I was shoved out front by a member of our Computer Science department. Let me tell you something: I can dance. Really. I can. I'm rather proud of that. That being said, I don't do line dancing or dancing with specific directions. Sooooo I was worried.
Anyway, several students stopped by to tell me that I looked good. . . compared to the other teachers. One of my AVID students said, "You can dance. I DID NOT expect that from YOU." translation: "I thought you were like all of the other middle-aged (in my 30's) white women I know." It reminded me of a recent conversation my sister had with her 6 year old daughter. My niece found my sister's high school cheerleading uniform and said to her, "I just can NOT imagine you like that, you're going to have to show me a picture because I just can NOT imagine you that way at all." Nice to know how old we all are.
Of course, later I was informed by two 17 year old girls that I could pass for 25 and they did NOT understand why I couldn't find myself a husband. They offered me suggestions, "Maybe you could find one at church." "Maybe you could marry my graphics teacher." I'm glad they're worried about me. Is this the Man Plan part 3?
5 comments:
Maury, I'm pretty sure that you should use the Man Plan idea that was proposed several posts ago... the one where you break into the school, don't turn off the alarm and wait for a Mormon police man.
That way you've got an incredible story to tell your grandkids... or your probation officer (who could also be Mormon and single.)
Hey... I was expecting to see Maury doing the electric slide in that video.... dang! I'm so disapointed and baby, you can dance. At David's wedding I was completely impressed!
Wait, how can you have Homecoming with no sports teams?
Emily
The homecoming with no sports teams connundrum is solved by putting together a basketball team for one game against the Northwest Career and Technical Academy (also nerds with no teams). Then we have a dance where no one dances. Again, we are nerds!
Wow. I don't even know what to say about made up basketball teams for homecoming. Sounds like an exercise in John Hughesean teen angst. BUT, good thing you got to practice the cha-cha slide (or whatever its called!) at my wedding, huh? ;) You burned up that dance floor! Too bad the DJ wasn't Mormon.
Post a Comment