Thursday, November 1, 2007

The agony of defeat

Hey everyone,
First off, may I say "Thank you!" to all of my commenters who've heaped hyperbolic praise upon me after my last post. I appreciate the attagirls. However, after filling out 13 AVID academic probation contracts, I don't know if it's deserved. I'm feeling like a wee little failure this morning, in fact.

I don't know what to do at this point. Some of these kids are failing 4 and 5 classes. FOUR AND FIVE!! What is going on? Are they listening to me AT ALL? Am I saying the right things? Doing anything of value? Grrr!! Here's the truth about teaching. For every minute spent basking in the wonderful parts (and they are truly wonderful) you spend five doubting every single thing you do. Luckily the good parts are so mind bogglingly beautiful that the ugliness doesn't seem so bad. . . later, when you think back.

So, I'll just say it: Don't praise me too quickly, I've got a lot of room to grow. . .

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I have a couple of kids who are failing 6 classes, so... I don't even want to think about it. It sucks. The worst part is that I think it was more difficult for me than for my kids.
It's not defeat. It's the quarter. Tons of time for improvement, but of course that's up to them. I never want to hear it myself but it's true, you can only do so much. You are doing a fantastic job. Your kids really are lucky to have you.