Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Return of the Back Handed Compliment

Today in 6th period, one of my students stopped me and said,

"Miss, me and Tyrell think your hair looks really pretty today."

Ahh. That's nice, right?

The problem isn't in what was said. The problem is in the way that it was said. I'm going to write that sentence again with emphasis added:

"Miss, me and Tyrell think your hair looks really pretty TODAY."

You see, it's the TODAY that I have a problem with. While I'm happy that my hair, does in fact, look pretty TODAY, I'd like to think that it looks pretty on a regular basis.

I've got to get up early more often. Seriously.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

ahhhh, kids.

How many more days until Christmas break?? :)

Emily said...

Yeah, I get that when I put on makeup. Wow, you look good TODAY. Your hair looks gorgeous every day, by the way.

See you soon!

Jillian said...

I am offended on your behalf, for reasons we have already established. An insult to you, is an insult to me.

Maursupial said...

Especially when it pertains to our hair. Sheesh!

Jenafer Lowe said...

These stories almost make me miss working in a high school. Sigh...good old Rancho. Like the time the high school black boy told me I was "thick" and not to worry, that was a compliment. Why I oughta...

Word Verification: gailc
The dance Miss Lowe will do tomorrow afternoon at the beginning of her Christmas break. It's a cross between a skip and a run!