Monday, April 27, 2009

Expectations so low you can step right over them...without crutches

I've been walking sans crutches or anything else since midway through the school day Friday. It's exciting and makes it much easier to do REALLY crazy exciting things like carry a stack of papers across the room. I'm really happy that I'm progressing, and it's exciting to realize that someday I will be able to walk normally again.

That being said, the reaction of my students and colleagues has been a little unexpected.

For instance: In 5th period I walked to the front of my classroom to write something on the board and one of my students exclaimed "You're walking without your crutches!" and then the class broke into applause. Seriously.

At lunch I walked into Mary's classroom where the English department eats together. One of my colleagues said, "You're walking without crutches! Good job!"

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the encouragement, but it felt a little like the kind of praise you give a toddler after their first wobbly steps or big girl poopy in the potty.



But, hey! I guess I shouldn't complain. I usually have to do a LOT more to impress these people.

9 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Every mother's child needs to have a "Yahoo" or a "GOOD poopy in the potty" So here's your mom: Yahoo! Good job! good going! Whahoo! Love you, Mom

Freddy said...

Congrats on being able to walk on your own. Our little girl is growing up, I am so proud :) No seriously, I would have been suprised to see you off of them too, you really get use to someone.

Anonymous said...

My crutch is anti-depressants.

Jillian said...

That Anonymous comment totally wasn't me....but it probably should/could be.

Da Browns said...

Way to go girl...Back on two feet again!! Yeah!!

Matthew said...

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap,clap, clap,clap, clapclap, clap,clap, clapclap, clap, clap, clap!

Thanks for posting 2x in one week. You're wonderful! Thanks!

Melodie said...

Yay! Good job! I'm so proud! But seriously, I broke my ankle in 7th grade, and I still remember the pain I experienced when I was allowed to walk again. I used my crutches for way too long because I was scared of how much it hurt. So really, walking this soon after your injury is no small feet (feat, get it. heh heh)! (not that you have big feet, only a big feat . . . oh, never mind) :)

Melissa said...

Yay, Maury!!

Mel, I love you!

Maursupial said...

Melo,
I love you!!

And I DO have big feet. It's true. Size 10.