Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let me build a bridge...

When I went to college I had the great blessing of finding friends that were the perfect fit. One friend in particular, Melissa, and I were about as much alike as two girls who grew up on opposite sides of the country could be. The most amazing thing was the similarities between our music collections. We had MANY of the same albums, and when one of us hadn't heard of something the other one owned we ended up loving it (with the exception of Blind Melon editor's note: It has been brought to my attention that my memory decieves me. It was Molly, not Melissa that liked Blind Melon. However, I do know that we disagreed about some band/artist. Maybe it was Bryan Adams. and ABBA. I couldn't stand the former, it took a while for Melissa to warm up to the latter.)We both loved Crowded House, a band most people are mostly meh about, and discovered that both of us had rollerskated in the driveway to the Xanadu soundtrack as 10 year olds. One of the FIRST things we bonded about was our mutual love of Sting. We loved him with a pure and total love. We were so passionate about him that if the rest of our friends and roommates had originally held only lukewarm feelings for Sting, we soon indoctrinated them.



Our favorite song was "Fortress Around Your Heart" and as Melissa owned a videotape of Sting's videos we not only listened to the song repeatedly, but also watched the video so often that we had every action memorized, including his repeated fist punch indicating the beginning of the chorus, the swoon worthy arching of his brow, his intense gaze, and the subtle, yet wholly sexy licking of his lips. It got so that no matter what we were doing, when we heard a particular part of the chorus each of us would punch a fist in the air and go about our business. At first it was a joke, but eventually we started doing so unconsiously.

In the past few years I haven't listened to much Sting, but after my amazing experience at The Police concert last month I got out my old Sting and Police cd's and loaded them on my Ipod. "Fortress Around Your Heart" is still my favorite, although "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" runs a close second.

This morning I took my sister-in-law Emily to the airport in my jammies. I was really tired, and didn't even really pay attention to what music was playing when suddenly my fist flew up, punching the air on its own accord. I quickly focused on the music to find "Fortress Around Your Heart" playing on my Ipod.

Some things just stay with you.


9 comments:

Melissa said...

awww, memories! I'm glad the air punch is still alive on both coasts!

But, I must defend myself: I did not like Blind Melon. That other West Virginian roommate did. In fact, I heard that one BM (heh heh, "BM") song on the radio a couple of weeks ago and thought, "let's give it a listen. Maybe it wasn't that bad." No, it was that bad. I changed the station.

Emily said...

Thanks for the ride Maury - you're the best.

Maursupial said...

Melissa,
I apologize and have corrected my error. It made me giggle and remember some good times.

Speaking of remembering: Do you remember when we pulled over in Battle Mountain, Nevada to take a picture of the giant "BM" on the mountain? Hee Hee Hee

Emily,
Thank you for not only reading my blog while you're out of state, but also commenting. YOU'RE THE BEST!!

Freddy said...

I totally remember sitting in the adobe house and seeing your vast music collection (many times listening to that collection). I was amazed at your music listing tastes, so different than mine, but then again, I love rap. BYU days were the best.

Maursupial said...

Freddy,
I remember quite a few "discussions" with you about this very subject. You're so right. BYU days were the best. I miss you!

Wendy Niceler said...

Hey Maury,
I would first like to say I'm so glad my opinion of you as a favorite Molly roommate was noticed by you! Because it is true. And although I do not have a huge lust for Sting(though he is delicious) I noticed on our profiles we actually have several faves in common in both books and movies and even one in music. Plus we've got the whole England thing going on. Ryan tells me all the time he thinks I secretly wish I were British-I say to him-there is no secret about it! Rule Britannia!
Enjoying your blog! Oh and I love that you named your dog Austen. I was going to suggest you name him Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy and call him Will for short but Austen his perfect! Can you tell I'm commenting on a bunch of things on your blog I've meant to talk about for ages. I just saved it all up for one big super comment.
Cheers Wendy

Maursupial said...

Wendy,
HELLO!! Thanks for commenting. I kind of live for comments, so you helped make my day. I know it's sad and pathetic, but what can you do.

About the Anglophelia. I'm with you, secret? I love all things British, and the last time I was in England I simply didn't want to come home. I could live in London, I really really could.

Once again, thanks for chiming in!

Cheers, Lovey!

Anonymous said...

okay halfway through the video I was thinking "okay he's way too serious here.. come on give me a little more expression but then i understood.... he was SAVING it for the end. IT's kind of worth all the scorching scowl eyes to get the little raised eyebrow and hint of a smile right at the last... more impact!

Maursupial said...

Jamie,
You have discovered the secret weapon of the Stinger. He makes you wait, but it's ALWAYS worth it. That little smile is so great.