I'm showing part of the Masterpiece Theatre version of Jane Eyre to my students today. I don't normally show movies as it's a real waste of time. (Newsflash to everyone who thought your teacher didn't know that in high school. . . they showed you movies more for themselves than for you. . . I promise) However, we administered the PSAT on Wednesday and that meant that one of my classes didn't meet for block day this week. I didn't want my classes to get out of sync, so I'm showing Jane.
For those of you who don't know, a new version of Jane Eyre was made last year starring the absolutely hunkalicious Toby
Stephens. My friend MaryAnna and I watched it together last year and I had to control my impulse to squeal with delight every time Toby appeared onscreen. He's so scrumptious, in fact, that I tracked down every last movie he's been in on Netflix and even (ooooooh the shame) went on fansites where the other crazies like me refer to themselves as "Tobettes". Yes. Tobettes. This is my sad, sad, tribe.
Stephens. My friend MaryAnna and I watched it together last year and I had to control my impulse to squeal with delight every time Toby appeared onscreen. He's so scrumptious, in fact, that I tracked down every last movie he's been in on Netflix and even (ooooooh the shame) went on fansites where the other crazies like me refer to themselves as "Tobettes". Yes. Tobettes. This is my sad, sad, tribe. FYI: the miniseries is really good (not just the Toby parts) and I highly recommend it.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I brought in clips from two different film versions so that my students could compare, contrast, and evaluate their effectiveness. Several of my female students came up to me with stars in their eyes and whispered reverently "Who was playing Rochester in the second clip?" I happily told them it was my boyfriend Toby (if only he knew. . . I know he could love me.). One of my male students said he thought Rochester was too handsome, but the girls and I said we were ok with that.
(I have a couple of girls who were in love with Rochester before they ever saw Toby, so I'm feeling ok with things. One of them has even drawn little hearts with Mr. Rochester + Maggie in them. This is perhaps the cutest thing I've seen in my 9 years as an English teacher. Talk about connecting with literature!! I told her she wasn't alone, that women have been falling in love with bad boy Edward Rochester for over 100 years.)
Today when I told them we'd be watching Jane, those same girls came up to me and asked, "We're watching the one with the HOT Rochester, right?" Of course!!!!!!
This is why I love my job. I get to watch Toby Stephens in the name of education. I wish I could explain my Johnny Depp posters (Yes, I have two posters of Johnny in my classroom) with as much dignity.
7 comments:
Tobettes? Yeah, that's kind of sad Maury.
So, uh, what other movies has he been in???
Emily
Cambridge Spies, Almost Strangers, Sharpe's Challenge, Possession, The Great Gatsby, The Queen's Sister, Twelfth Night. . .Yeah, I've watched a few. FYI, he's way hotter when rocking his natural red hair. . .
Who was he in posession?
I watched it, didn't like it, but don't remember him...
p.s. I like your little revamp. like the green . Is that Toby's favorite color?
NO. . . .it's MY favorite color. Granted it is the color of Toby's eyes. . . he he he. He was the smarmy ex boyfriend who tried to cause them trouble in Possession.
I've seen them all myself, and I have also been known to comment occasionally on the Tobette site. It just can't be helped. He is too damn' fine.
Incidentally, in the great dispute over whether he resembles his mother or father, I'm voting for Maggie. He has his father's hair color, but no way he has that jaw and nose...
I'm hopeless, just hopeless. I'm sure you can sympathize.
Oooh can I ever sympathize. I'm voting for Maggie too. He has her eyes.
Post a Comment