Monday, August 13, 2007

Vacation??? I don't need no stinking vacation. . .

Hello everyone out there in cyberspace. I know I promised a recap of my summer but I'm tired and it's almost over now. Really, it's been a blur of driving from Las Vegas to California or Utah and back. I was able to squeeze in a couple of trips to IKEA (!!!!! quite possibly my favorite place in the known universe)and a visit to see my sister Jamie and her family in Orem, Utah where I went to Walmart at midnight to buy Harry Potter #7 (I LOVED THIS BOOK) that was a lot of fun. I then had to find a new place to live because my landlord is selling the condo I've lived in for the past year. I found an apartment the first day I looked and I am THRILLED to be telling you all that I will now be living alone!! YEAH!! I must admit that Kelsey wasn't the world's worst roommate, but I'm so excited to not have to live with the world's ugliest dining room furniture, plastic fruit on my beautiful domed cake plate, a precious moments collection, or an enormous pastel of lilies and/or seashells on my walls. YEAH for me. The apartment has a fireplace and really high ceilings in the living room which thrill me, but the move was rough 'cause it's upstairs. I was lucky to be able to move a lot of my stuff over the course of three days. Of course those were the three days in the history of Las Vegas that alternated between oppressively hot and humid and rain. Two or three trips up those stairs just about killed me. However, I was able to have everything put away and get a lot of pictures hung before I left for the AVID conference in San Diego.

My sister Christy told me she'd sell me her beautiful solid oak bookcase for the extremely reasonable price of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on CD. Of course this was a no-brainer, but I had to figure out how to get a 6' tall bookcase from California to Las Vegas and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit in the back of my Toyota Matrix. It's a pretty magical car, but I'd need a little help from Mr. Weasley to manage that (sorry, I'm a Harry Potter nerd. . . DEAL!!!). So, since I was going to California to go to my AVID conference anyway, I asked my mom and dad if I could borrow their Isuzu Ascender (its name should be changed to the Isuzu "Hey Mom and Dad can I borrow the" Ascender. It's nice to have parents to buy the big vehicles for you isn't it??). They graciously allowed me to do so and Christy and I went to San Diego, parked it in the hotel parking lot and left it there, 'cause in San Diego they apparently base the size of parking spaces on the Mini Cooper. Luckily we stayed at the DoubleTree Hotel on Hazard Center Drive and we had a trolley stop across the street and could walk everywhere else.

The AVID conference was AWESOME!! My team is really excited about the program and REALLY want to actually HELP me. This is a new thing. With the exception of two people (who both up and left me!), my site team was pretty ineffectual last year. I'm finally looking forward to this school year, and really think things will be better. Now, for the kids. . . . I have hope. I really do.

While in San Diego Christy and I went to see Hairspray (HILARIOUS and adorable) and The Bourne Ultimatum (WOW. Could Matt Damon be any hunkier? Answer: No.) and made the aforementioned Ikea trip. It was maybe the most successful Ikea trip in the history of the world. Really. I think they might have to put us on some kind of wall of fame. Maybe I'll create one on the inside wall of my closet. I can just imagine the kind of lines a visit to the Ikea shopping wall of fame might generate. Whew! I'm such a visionary. Anyway, I got a new coffee table for $13 a cute red 4 ft tall cupboard with doors for $20 also, I bought spice racks, a coat cooks, drawer organizers, a large glass jar (to replace the one I borrowed and broke for Jena and David) and a large bookcase for $120 (that's total baby, including the cupboard and coffee table). You're impressed and jealous aren't you. . . just admit it. Christy also earned a place on the wall of fame by buying an "as is" chest of drawers that was normally $99 for $55. Yeah. . . half price BABY!! To make it even better, she didn't even have to put it together.

So, now, the summer is over and it's nearly time to go back to school. I'm presenting an AVID awareness/Cornell notes workshop to the new teachers at my site on Thursday and will just start setting up the whole room then.

So, on that note I'll sign off. Ta!

No comments: