Monday, July 2, 2007

Not just a rebound thing...

I've finally gotten rid of my old cell phone. Although this is a pretty routine thing for everyone in the modern world, this has been a big moment for me. You see, my old cell phone treated me pretty much exactly like every boy I've ever loved. . . it was friendly at first but quickly began taking me for granted and never there when I needed it. Like I said, it started out promisingly, but it was nothing more than a rebound relationship

.You see my previous phone and I had loved each other very much but our relationship soured quickly when the speaker stopped working and I had to use the speaker phone function in order to hear what anyone was saying. It was a sad break-up, but inevitable. David had a phone that was just hanging around doing nothing, and it seemed a good fit. Isn't that the story with all rebound relationships? the relationship has more to do with timing or convenience than any real feeling. It all seemed so promising at first. This phone had a camera and a speaker that worked. Who could ask for anything more? I thought I couldn't, I wasn't picky.

Soon, however, my phone's true colors showed. The first sign of trouble was the time it refused to give me a message from my friend Helen for 3 days (textbook witholding). Then it started taking pictures when I wasn't looking (trust issues). Of course they were all black and pointless, but nevertheless. But, those were minor issues. Our real problem was that it refused to hold a charge (emotionally unavailability). I'd charge it all night long and then make one phone call and it would die. It was annoying and I know that people started to doubt my sincerity when I told them EVERY SINGLE TIME I talked to them that my phone was dying. I'd doubt me too. . .

Then I made a new friend in my Research Methods class. Becky had the same phone as me with the same problems. We both agreed that it was time to move on.

But, finally the happy day came. . . June 26, the day I could get a new phone from Verizon (new every two. . . clever eh?).


I ordered a shiny (literally) new KRAZR Fire, and two days later. . . it was here. I charged it up and broke the news to LGVX6100 by disconnecting it, and throwing away all of its accessories. It was liberating.

So, my KRAZR and I have some adjusting to do. I'm still figuring out how to change settings and use the camera. I know that the new glow will wear off and that we'll have our issues, but for now. . . it's all love, baby.

So. . . adieu LGVX6100. I will not miss you.

6 comments:

Carly Forsyth said...

emotional unavailability sucks! oh I'm trying to quit using that expression now that Mason & Samantha are overu;sing it. It just sounds so awful coming out of those little faces. the other kids never picked it up.
I think your blog is fun. Are you enjoying it? ARe you still goign to write your weekly letters or will we have to come to you????? (control issues..) :)
James

Jamie said...

Hey that was NOT Carly... why did your blog assume I was Carly! How annoying!
love
Jamie.. NOT CARLY

Maursupial said...

It's also kinda funny to hear "that sucks" out of Samantha's mouth. . . of course I'm her aunt... I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to handle the blogging vs letter writing. I don't know yet

Unknown said...

I love ya, Maurs! Keep the blog rolling!! Jamie, I am so glad that wasn't Carly...that really freaked me out! The entry sounded just a little too grown up. Because if Carly was articulate and old enough to say that stuff, that really would SUCK! (although now you're going to tell me she is that old, aren't you??)

Unknown said...

Alright, Maurs, you started this blog, now post to it! :) No really, I enjoy reading the blog and have missed your posts the last few weeks. Where are you?

nurselynn said...

Hi Maury,
I agree with Melissa, now that you've got us hooked on Maury's Real Life, you've got to update us! I love reading your letters and blog!
See you one of these days? Is it too hot for you here in Vegas?
Lynn